10 Songs You Should Have in Your Sad Playlist

For when you need a good cry

26

It's been almost 5 months since I left school, and this continued presence of coronavirus has me down. Between my frustration with our country's inability to control the spread, my anger at people who won't comply, and my sadness at the thought of how different college is going to look, I've found myself missing life as it was before the global pandemic. I've always been a believer in having a good cry, but these past couple of months have added a new meaning to my "sad playlist." ****Disclaimer**** There are so many great songs you could add your playlist, but these are just some more mainstream examples.

Weight of the World by John Bellion

Anything this man sings hits my soul, especially this album and this song. I cried hard listening to it for the first time, and I've teared up every time after that.

Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi 

This was a trend on Tik Tok for a while, but when I first heard this song and listened to all of the lyrics, I cried like a baby. The song centers around his friend who committed suicide and his regret for not knowing or being able to help him.

Lay Me Down by Sam Smith

This song makes me miss someone I've never loved & I scream it at the top of my lungs. No shame.

When We Were Young by Adele 

Another song that makes me miss a love I never had, but belt and tear worthy regardless. Adele's vocals and lyrics are too powerful not to have some kind of emotional reaction.

You Found Me by The Fray

Honestly, I could list 20 songs by the Fray alone for this list, but this one in particular hits me square in the soul. I turn it extra loud so I can't hear my terrible singing, but it's an experience always.

Feeling Whitney by Post Malone

This one is perfect for a late night drive in your car with no one else around. Vibes=immaculate.

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac

This is one of my favorite songs mainly because of the nostalgic feeling attached to it. It reminds me of my childhood but also pulls right at my heart strings thinking about how fast life goes and how badly I want what I have now to last.

Ribs by Lorde

Like Landslide, this one makes you think about how scary it is to grow up but also makes you sentimental for the present.

When the Party's Over by Billie Eilish

I'm not really a Billie fan, but this song is one of the exceptions. The song encapsulates that feeling where you come home from a night out, and it doesn't feel like it should.

You Will Be Found from Dear Evan Hansen

Alright listen, I know this is nerdy. I'm not a theater kid, but I just had to add this one. The first time I heard this song was when I saw it on Broadway, and I swear I couldn't even hear myself crying because the music is so powerful, and the cast is so amazing. I 10/10 recommend most of this soundtrack if you want something heartfelt but also heartbreaking.