10 Rutgers Football Traditions To Learn Before Your First Game
Football

Before You Attend A Rutgers Football Game, You Better Know Your RU Rah-Rahs And 3rd Down Tradition

Make sure you know every word and yell it loud with Scarlet Knight pride.

3398
Mascot and Scarlet Knights at a football game

One of the best experiences at a Big Ten school is attending a football game. These events are exciting and a fun day with friends. Before you go to High Point Solutions Stadium, make sure you know what will happen at one of the Rutgers football games. Do not expect a big win, but expect big fun.

1. Know the Rutgers chant

If you do not know the Rutgers chant, do you even go to Rutgers? Make sure you know every word and yell it loud with Scarlet Knight pride. It is:

"RU Rah Rah
RU Rah Rah
Hoo rah
Hoo rah
Rutgers rah
Upstream red team
Red team upstream
Rah, rah, Rutgers rah!"

Never forget this chant. You will be shouting it everywhere in your years at Rutgers University.

2. Wear your team's colors

Never forget your red and white gear to the game! It is always a must to show off your Rutgers pride by sporting some Scarlet Knight apparel. Don't know where to shop for this? Visit Scarlet Fever or the Barnes and Noble to find lots of Rutgers gear for football games.

3. Don’t expect a win, but have fun

Although we don't have the best football team, it is still easy to have a great time at these games. Grab all of your friends and head over to High Point Solutions Stadium for a fun time. You don't want to miss this opportunity for a fun time in your first semester.

4. Bus schedules

You will want to wake up bright and early on game day. If you plan on taking the bus, know the schedule. Hop on a weekend bus to select locations that have shuttles to the stadium. Don't wait until the last minute to find a bus. They fill up very quickly and you do not want to have to wait because weekend buses do not run as often as normal weekday buses.

5. Tailgates

Attend a tailgate in the parking lot of High Point Solutions Stadium! These are always fun to hang out with friends and get everyone excited for the game to come.

6. Bring your Rutgers ID

Make sure to have your Rutgers ID with you if you plan on sitting in the student section. You need to show this identification before you enter the stadium.

7. Don’t be alarmed when a cannon goes off

Cannons are set off at the games after a touchdown. Make sure to expect the loud noises and do not be alarmed when they do go off. After, watch out for the Scarlet Knight and his trusty steed gallop across the stadium.

8. Know if you are sitting in the “R” section or “U” section

Sometimes the spirit teams will point to the two end zones. One section screams "R" and the other screams "U". Know which letter you have to yell, and when you do, yell it loud!

9. Third down

When the visiting team reaches the third down, hold three fingers in the air and strum your hand like a guitar with the music. (Make sure to yell out your hatred for Penn State, also).

10. Free tickets

If you do not want to pay for a ticket, make sure to enter the student lottery to get a free ticket in the student section. We all know how college students love free things.

RU Ready for some football? Football season is truly the best, and although our team isn't the best, these games are always fun to attend for students. You will want to return to these games when you graduate and become an alum.