Do Not Be In A Rush To Make Friends During Your College Years

Focus on yourself, and be careful who you trust.

266

In high school, some people try to fit in with others, to make friends because they would like to be noticed for hanging out with a certain group of people. They do not want it to seem like they can not make friends. The truth is, toward the end of our senior year of high school, we are beginning to figure out who we are as a person, and the type of people, we would like to have in our lives as a good influence.

It is common for people when starting their freshman year of college, to want to start fresh, and forget their high school experience if it was bad. That is understandable because it is the next chapter of your life.

My high school experience was mostly a nice one, and I will not forget the memories I made. However, when I look back on my time in high school, I noticed that I considered people as my acquaintances, and not as my friends. I learned to be careful who I call my friends because of instances that happened to me throughout elementary school to high school.

I am now in my sophomore year of college. If I see people that went to my high school and now the same college, or people I had classes with previously, I would say hi, ask how they are doing, and how their classes are going? But I mostly keep to myself to focus on my assignments for my classes. I prefer not to have drama in my life. It would distract me from what is important, receiving my degrees, and preparing for life after college.

While growing up, I thought it was bad to be seen sitting alone in public, and it would always be better being seen interacting with others. But I realize now, there is nothing wrong with being seen sitting alone in public, for wanting to have time to yourself. I do not mind getting to know people, and eventually forming friendships. However, it is important that I keep my guard up, pay attention to how people act around me, and how they talk about others. That gives me signs of who to trust and not to trust.