Running With The Wolves

Running With The Wolves

A thank you to the runners in my life.

28
Running With The Wolves
Adam Bible

If there’s one thing I have learned since I started running, it would be that the single most important building block in the foundation of progress is consistency. On Saturday, July 8, I am going to be participating in my very first half marathon, and without a consistently laid out training program, I don’t think that I would make it to the finish line. Because I am fortunate enough to have one, though, I have full confidence in myself and my ability to preform at my body’s optimal level.

Over the last eight weeks, I have gradually increased my weekly mileage to heights I once would have scoffed at, imagining them to be unrealistic and unachievable. Along the way, I have received priceless advice and wisdom from the most knowledgable runners in my life (you know who you are). Aside from directing me to the most advantageous shoes for my feet and the ideal pre-race meals for my body, these runners have motivated me in their actions alone. There is a difference between seeing someone complete the Boston Marathon on Sports Center and actually knowing someone who has crossed the finish line. The amount of information these racers are able to provide is overwhelmingly motivating to someone like myself; a newcomer to the world of running routinely.

After a successful completion of the Traverse City Cherry Festival Half Marathon, I have no intention of pumping the brakes. Of course, a short, temporary rest will be in order, but after a few days of recovery, I want to be back on my feet, striving toward a new and higher peak: the Detroit Free Press Marathon. Upon finishing my 13.1 mile journey, I will have a solid 14 weeks to train and prepare my body to double the mileage, which even now sounds like pure insanity. Like I stated earlier, though, as long as I can continue to push myself to remain consistent with my runs, I think I just may survive. That, along with the support of the people in my life and the continued lessons from my network of runners should be more than enough to sufficiently propel me across the finish line and check a major box off my bucket list.

As someone who never would have pictured himself becoming one of those people who actually enjoys running, I can genuinely say that I am looking forward to tomorrow’s 10 miler, next week’s 10-K, and every run that I have standing in between me and my goals. My mindset towards this sport has been entirely turned around, leaving me with a newfound respect for all of those that push themselves like I have. So, in conclusion, I would like to say thank you to the runners in my life. Your achievements are an everlasting inspiration in the eyes of a rookie, and your footsteps will continue to lead me on this rigorous journey. It wouldn’t have been possible without you all! See you on the trails.