13.1 Thoughts You’ll Have While Running A Half Marathon

The interesting story that happens in your head while running 13.1 miles.

250
Kathrin Kasperlik

A week ago, a friend of mine and I decided to be superstars and run the San Francisco Half Marathon. I mean, who doesn’t fly 4,000 miles and pays a whole bunch of money just to run 13.1 miles in a city full of hills on the other side of the country? Right?

At the time I signed up for the race I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I didn’t know how long 13.1 miles actually were. I didn’t know that I would have to wake up at 4 a.m. on the day of the race. And I didn’t know that running in San Francisco would resemble a hike up the Mount Everest.

Sure I was scared, excited, nervous, all at once. But when you are about to run one of the most beautiful running routes ever, you quickly forget about your fear. I mean, can you imagine running the Golden Gate at sunrise? Exactly!

And so, finally, on April 8th 2018, the day came when I ran the most exciting adventure during my stay in the United States: my first half marathon! Let me take you on a crazy run through my thoughts at that time…

Mile 1. Wow, this is amazing! I’ve never seen so many people running!

Mile 2. This is not as hard as I thought it would be. I think I should sign up for a full marathon! Yeah, I should totally do that!

Mile 3. Okay, three miles down, only ten more to go…

Mile 4. Man, I forgot how much I love running!

Mile 5. Let’s take a deep breath. Nobody said it’s going to be easy. And it’s still fun, right?!

Mile 6. Hm, maybe I should have prepared better…?

Mile 7. Water! I need some water!!

Mile 8. I think we are almost there. What? It’s only mile eight?!

Mile 9. Ok, you can do that! You are strong, you are determined, you are focused. Go, girl!

Mile 10. Why are the official photographers taking pictures NOW? I look like a red tomato!

Mile 11. Can I sit down for a while and cry? Please!?

Mile 12. Forget what I said about that marathon. Never ever EVER!!

Mile 13. Will this race never end?

Mile 13.1 OMG!!! I really did it! Did I? Yes I did! It feels so great! I’m so proud! I’m definitely a runner! Maybe the marathon after all?...

No matter what kind of thought process you have while running, preparing for such a race and finishing it will definitely boost your self esteem and make you feel sooooo good. Be a superstar!