Heads Together: A Royal Mental Health Campaign

Let's talk about what our favorite royals have been up to.

38
The Today Show

I'm sure not everyone follows the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge on social media like I do, but I'm admittedly a huge fan. I've admired Princess Kate for awhile, not only because she's modest and classy, but because she's passionate about making a difference in the world. That's why I've been so impressed with the new Heads Together campaign launched by the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

Heads Together is a nation-wide campaign that links charities together to raise awareness for mental health. When I say mental health, I don't mean mental illness. This campaign seeks to promote overall mental well-being so that issues may be caught early and treated so people can live life to the fullest extent. Another huge part of this campaign is to erase the stigma associated with talking about mental health. Most people fear talking about their problems, or admitting that they may be less than well. Heads Together aims to let people know that talking about these issues is exactly what we need!

Will, Kate & Harry have sat down for very intimate and informal discussions about their own mental health, in hopes that sharing their personal stories and struggles will encourage others to do the same. Kate discusses her anxiety and surprise at how overwhelming motherhood was in the beginning. Harry opens up about suppressing his emotions over losing his mother, Princess Diana, early in childhood, and how that has effected him throughout his life. Will even FaceTimed with Lady Gaga about why these conversations regarding mental health are so important. These videos and other personal stories can be found with the hashtag #oktosay.

Princess Kate is a Royal Patron of various charities, including Place2Be, an organization that works to support children's mental health in school through counseling and other therapeutic and emotional services. This charity is only one of eight charity partners that have committed to working together in the Heads Together campaign.

Best Beginnings and Place2Be both focus on children's mental health at very young ages. YoungMind and The Mix are geared toward minimizing the stigma teenagers and young adults face when opening up about their mental health. Mind and CALM focus on mental and emotional well-being in adults, including Contact, a military health coalition. The Anna Freud Centre promotes research and promotion of mental health advocates and training.

I'm so glad that these Royals are taking a stand for mental health. As I've said before, it's no longer about mental illness. What they're doing is about encouraging and promoting mental well-being for all people. Children. Teenagers. Young and middle-aged citizens. The elderly. To quote the words of Princess Kate, "mental health is just as important as physical health."

I encourage you to take a look at some of the links provided, especially videos released in the #oktosay campign. Follow these charities on social media. Talk about them to your friends. Let everyone know that you support positive mental health, and that it's okay to talk about our own situations. When we put our Heads Together, we can do anything!