"Rouge One" Review

"Rouge One" Review

The new "Star Wars" movie has hit the theaters and many are talking about it, heres my thoughts.

23
"Rouge One" Review
The Verge

Disney has taken over “Star Wars” and has been creating new movies, which many are very excited about. So lets talk about this new movie, “Rouge One: A Star Wars Story” from start to finish. I'll break some of it down and give you my thoughts on the movie without trying to spoil anything.

The summary, “Rouge One” is about a girl named Jyn Erso, daughter of Galen Erso the engineer for the most powerful weapon, the Death Star. Knowing that her father is the key to destroying the weapon, Jyn goes on a crazy adventure with a wild team of a spy, robot, an imperial pilot, and resistance fighters to help the Rebel Alliance.

The movie catches your attention in the first film introducing Orson Krennic as an evil man tearing apart the Erso family. My eye immediately loved the little details, the scenery, and the feel of the setting. Then you jump around for a few scenes being introduced to many locations, people, and plots. In a matter of moments your mind is racing to keep track and it seems like way too much. It was one of the parts I hated due to not knowing what is going on so soon in the movie. And then to top it off as soon as we settle into one location, Jedha a city, with lots of action and plot development going on in the scene. But it is not much longer until Jedha too is gone and you’re jumping around again. The first hour of build up is pretty rough, but the rest of the movie seemed pretty flawless at keeping you on your seat with the action, the battle, and intensity in the storyline.

There are a lot of new characters introduced into this film. Our leading lady, Jyn Erso, shows that she has strength and a mind of her own most of the time. She is a good girl power lead, although I didn’t feel very connected to her. I didn’t grow a love for her or her development. As well as her main side kick Cassian Andor. There just seemed to be a missing connection with them and needed more of a justification. I loved the Jedha guardian duo, the blind monk and his heavily armed friend has a great relationship, made things entertaining, and were pretty badass. As always I loved the robot, K-2SO, he added humor to the story and gave you more feeling and connection. Also, compared to other droids in other “Star Wars” movies he wasn’t useless in battle, he was stronger and could kick butt. And obviously the bad guy, Krennic, plays a great part in the movie, building the plot, and helping it keep chugging along in an understanding way while giving you a reason to understand the story of him and his evilness. There are many other characters in the movie, new and old, to talk about. There are just so many I would be talking for days.

The CGI through out the movie needs to be talked about. As always the team did well making things look realistic, the creatures, the locations, traveling through the galaxy all looked real and was great. The CGI of things blowing up was absolutely stunning and had me in awe. There were slight issues with some things though. Since some actors have died, but needed to be in this movie, they recreated the character through computers. The CGI on the characters was obvious in some parts, and in other parts better hidden. It kind of throws you off, but its understandable and they tried hard.

The ending… was intense. huge battle going down with everyone fighting for there lives all to save the galaxy. This is going to be hard without spoilers, but it seemed like some of it was unnecessary or could have been done differently for a stronger effect. Obviously Darth Vadar makes his appearance since the film is leading up to “A New Hope”. Which I think they did a great job showing him and how powerful he is and ends the movie perfectly setting up “A New Hope”. This movie does stitch up a few loose ends from the original “Star Wars” trilogy, which I and other fans were satisfied with coming together. The building up to the climax was great, the climax itself was deep, and the resolution after was fitting.

All in all, “Rouge One” started out kind of messy and imbalanced, but in the end it did shine through and show that it was a good movie with great potential. And the longer you look back at it the more you appreciate the movie.