'Roseanne' Being Canceled Is A Step Toward Progress, But Not Enough

Work still needs to be done to "make Hollywood great again."
96

On Tuesday, May 29, I received a notification on my computer that proved karma is still getting her job done. If you've been living under a rock, Roseanne Barr's rebooted TV show was canceled yesterday after her racist Twitter tirade against a former Obama adviser. Comparing Valerie Jarrett to a monkey, Barr's tweet quickly caused ABC to react and fire Roseanne from the channel.

For many, this cancellation has been a long time coming. Since the reboot first aired in March, it's done nothing but normalize Trump's own erratic, racist behavior and make unnecessary political jabs just to draw attention to itself. As I mentioned in a previous article, I had no plans on giving this reboot any support, like many others who felt it was wrong to give a woman with such alt-right, ludicrous views to continue spreading the lies that Trump has gone off about since 2016.

Although it is unfortunate that struggling writers and producers are now without jobs for the summer, I do not feel any sympathy toward Roseanne. Free speech does allow her to say all of these awful things, however, it doesn't protect her from the consequences that come as a result. Her show being canceled only proves that people are becoming more outspoken toward confronting those who now feel emboldened and empowered by Trump to spew their racist nonsense.

However, the TV industry (and Hollywood, as a whole) still has a long way to go before reaching true progress. Roseanne may now be written off of television, but what about Jeffrey Tambor- who's been accused of sexual misconduct on the set of "Transparent" yet is still allowed to return to "Arrested Development" for a new season?

Or consider Tim Allen- a fellow 90s TV star turned conservative who is also getting his show revived by a major network (a show that openly mocked Hillary Clinton's loss when it was still on in 2016 btw)? There are lots of other problematic people in Hollywood, like Roseanne, who haven't been fired from their shows yet. Therefore, it will take much more work to openly and honestly confront such issues.

And no, Roseanne's firing has nothing to do with Hollywood pushing its "liberal" agenda. It's just common sense to punish people who think it's okay to still call people of color such awful words. It's 2018, Roseanne, and people don't want to laugh at your racism anymore.