To The Ladies of C103, Thank You For Being You

Thank you for giving me the confidence to just be me.

176
Olivia ZIngraf

Having a roommate can be difficult for a girl like me. I had never shared a room with a sibling growing up, and I got used to my room as my own space. I enjoyed the thought of having something I could call my own. I enjoyed being able to decompress after a long day by myself, just myself and my thoughts. I liked being able to be sweaty from the gym, to relax in my robe, or to have the "post-shower look" all to myself. I didn't quite understand how set in your ways you become in your own household as a kid. Having a roommate for the first time exposes routines and quirks you may not have noticed about yourself beforehand. It shows how much your parents influenced how you act, how you set your days and every small thing about you. You become oblivious to certain things about yourself, and to be honest, it takes time to adjust.

Luckily, I was blessed with the best roommates this year. I mean it. I have never felt more support from three other ladies in my entire life. These girls will remember small details about your day, say "good luck" and "goodbye" before they leave, and they care. They are there to listen to me. They are there for my quirky behaviors. They embrace all of my other friends, and I am able to embrace theirs. I have met so many unique people through my roommates this year. They are the type of people you want to associate yourself with. They lift me up, and I need that.

Sometimes when rooming with others it is easy to become self-conscious. You question if you're doing the right thing, and you can feel like you're always being watched. It feels like they can be swarming you 24/7, giving you very little room to breathe. However, I am so comfortable with them. I know I can be myself, and they respect me for that. I think this year has been so uplifting and positive for me because I have had that. Nobody is trying to tear me down, and I feel confident about who I am. I can't change what makes me ME.

To the ladies of C103, I am so blessed that we decided to room together. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for encouraging me, supporting me, laughing both with and at me, and for being there for me at the end of the day. I enjoy listening to you all; I love to hear your stories and your viewpoints. You learn so much from others in such a judge-free zone. Every time I walk into the apartment, I feel refreshed and "at home." As "at home" as I have felt since I have left college for the first time three years ago. I no longer feel the foot pain of walking on eggshells.

Rae, Nisha, and Madison: I can't wait for the rest of the year with you three. Also, I am so glad we all finally got a picture together. It was about time.