When Your Roommates Become Your Best Friends

I think we should get matching tats.

22
Huffington Post

Whether you like your roommates or not, you live with them and there's not much you can do about it. You slowly realize that the people that you are sharing this living space with are becoming closer and closer to you and they are the ones that will be around when you need a buddy.

We are five weeks into school at this point (soon to be six) and I have lost track of how many times I've texted my roommate asking to go get food with me. Taco Bell has become a staple in my midnight snack diet after work and it's probably a real issue.

So many nights I have gone without doing the homework I have planned to do because we stay up talking for hours about anything. Laughter fills our living room and our neighbors probably hate us but we don't care. We make connections on a nightly basis over the stupid stuff that happens during the day. We laugh over crazy professors and classmates.

Even now, as I'm writing this, my roommates are sitting on my bed with me putting off homework and responsibilities. This is a normal thing where we sit and complain about everything we have to do instead of actually just doing it. It's a lot more fun to complain about it and snack and gossip.

The other weekend, we went with one of our roommates to get her nose pierced and the next weekend they went with me to get my new tattoo. We are experiencing new things together and giggling with excitement over the stupid little things we do.

My advice is to live with someone you like and work hard at being a good roommate. Respect everyone's bedtimes, respect early mornings when everyone else is asleep, respect each other's food. Have fun and go out together and make the most of your time in undergrad together when you can mess around with fewer responsibilities.