Roommate Adventures

Roommate Adventures

How many crazy things can happen in the first month of college?

28
Roommate Adventures
Original photo

I’m sure that most everyone can agree that getting a roommate is one of the most stressful parts of going to college. I mean, you’re going to be living with this person for the next nine months and it’s pretty important that they’re someone you’re going to get along with. Thankfully for me, I got a roommate who is my exact twin. We are so similar sometimes that it’s weird. We both eat our pizza backwards, love french fries, gummi worms, and baby pickles, and get into crazy cleaning moods at 2 in the morning. From early on, we got along so well and have already had many crazy adventures to tell stories about.

In our very first bonding experience, we both slept through all of our alarms for our 8am classes and woke up at 8:08. I was woken up that morning by Amy screaming across the room, “Cortney, get up!!! It’s 8:08!!!!” At that moment, we both jumped out of our four feet tall raised beds in perfect synchronization and got ready within two minutes. We woke up at 8:08 and we were in class by 8:15. This once-in-a-lifetime occurrence showed a spectacular feat of early-morning motivation that will likely never be repeated.

We go to Wal-Mart...A LOT! It has supplied many of the decorations for our room and all of our late night snacks. Every time we go to buy something, Amy and I end up walking down every aisle and around the entire store at least twice. Once, we were there searching for mirrors to decorate our wall and decided that they were all too expensive for our measly college budget and we would have to leave our wall sad and bare, when at the last minute we realized that Dollar Tree had mirrors...FOR ONLY $1!!! It was already 9:45 and Dollar Tree closed at 10, so we sprinted all the way from the back of the store to the front, pushing our squeaky cart as fast as we could! Everyone looked at us like we were crazy, but we had to make it out in time! In the fastest self-checkout experience of my life, we scanned everything and sprinted out the doors and through the parking lot to my car; tossing everything into the back. We zoomed down the road and made it to Dollar Tree just two minutes before the store closed!

Our friend Megan lives down the hall and we love to play jokes on her. One night, when the semester first started, I squeezed my arms and legs into the sleeves of a giant hoodie and creeped down the hallway to Megan’s room dressed as the “hoodie monster”. Her door was alreaady open, so I ran in and ran out, then ran away down the hallway. We’ve done all kinds of other funny things to Megan, like leaving a plate of cookies suspiciously outside of her door and setting up a Christmas tree in her room while she was gone!

Amy has an Eno hammock, and one night while we were mentally impaired from doing homework into the wee hours of the morning, we had the bright idea to set it up somewhere in our room. Being the intelligent young college students that we are, we decided that the best place would be in between our 2 unstable dorm beds that were raised high on wiggly bed risers. Once we got it set up, we decided that I should test it out. After contemplating whether or not I should dramatically jump in or not, we decided that I should probably try and get in slowly in case anything bad happened. And it’s a good thing we did, too. Before I was even halfway in, Amy’s bed starts falling over and sliding off its risers! She went over and pushed it up against the wall, but then my bed started falling and was tipped completely on its side! There was a lot of screaming involved then and I quickly jumped out of the hammock. Turns out, I’d pulled both of our beds off their risers and we had to crawl underneath the beds to fix them. Needless to say, the next time we decide the set up the Eno, it will be in a much more stable and OUTDOOR setting!

One night at 1 o’clock in the morning, Amy and I decided that we needed to reorganize our room. Our room was meant for three people and only has two, so we do have quite a bit of space to work with. We thought that it would be a wonderful idea to move Amy’s bed to the opposite corner and stack two of the desks into a kitchenette shelf at the bottom of it. The only problem is that our beds and desks are SO heavy! We had to pull EVERYTHING out from under the bed and desks, which turned our room into a mess, making it almost impossible to navigate as we maneuvered the desks across the room. Stacking those desks in the corner is honestly one of the hardest things I’ve ever done on my life! Do you know how hard it is to squeeze into an awkward space and perfectly align the skinny desk legs on top of another desk? The answer is VERY. I’m pretty sure that I got about five concussions from the desks coming unaligned and falling on my head! The people on the floor below us probably hated us for all of our furniture banging around and falling on the floor sos late at night! Thankfully, we finally got everything set up and now our room is looking better than ever!

We’ve had all kinds of other fun adventures too! One night, we hid from the alleged “Wingate Clown” in the music center for two hours when we thought the campus was on lockdown. Another time, we had a late-night movie night with popcorn and hot chocolate. At least a few times every week, we have late night dance parties to throwback songs--it’s throwback Thursday everyday!! A couple weeks ago, we accidentally caught our heat on fire in the middle of the summer. Just last week, we made some disgusting gluten-free cookies with dollar store ingredients and gave them to our poor unsuspecting friends. And most recently, we bought a Christmas tree from a sketchy yard sale...in SEPTEMBER! It turns out that having a roommate is actually pretty fun and of course, my roommate is the best!