30 Of The Best Rom-Coms, New And Old

In my opinion, romantic comedies are the superior movie genre. They have the romance that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, as well as a little comedy that brings laughter to hide all the crying you did at the scene before.

I once believed the best rom-coms were already made. After all, who could top the amazing fictional romances of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in the late '90s and early 2000s? As Mindy Kaling once said, "I don't get why Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan even do movies without the other in them." (Which I actually disagree with... Have you seen "The Polar Express?!")

There was no way a generation full of FaceTimers and Instagram stalkers could beat the dramatically-close-a-flip-phone atmosphere of earlier rom-coms! That was... until I took a journey through Netflix.

Have no fear; the rom-com era has returned!

Not only are there absolutely adorable storylines that take place in the most suburban high school you have ever seen, but the writers of these movies are actually funny! This isn't cutesy "at least I'm not crying anymore" laughter, but real and genuine snorting laughter.

And have you heard of Noah Centineo?! He's the secret ingredient to making a spectacular teen romance come to life.

With this new discovery, I have decided to make an updated list of "classic" rom-coms to include some new favorites. Enjoy watching!

- Your Favorite Romantic Comedy Connoisseur

1. "You've Got Mail"

Nothing beats Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

2. "Sleepless in Seattle"

Seriously, nothing beats them.

3. "My Best Friend's Wedding"

This scene has yet to be topped. Period.

4. "Bridget Jones's Diary"

It's based on "Pride and Prejudice," so obviously it's gonna be on this list. Plus... Colin Firth.

5. "While You Were Sleeping"

This movie made me almost cry when I saw the L-Train in Chicago.

6. "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days"

7. "Sweet Home Alabama"

Definitely one of the most quotable rom-coms!

8. "To All The Boys I've Loved Before"

By far the best rom-com made in over a decade! The romance is cute. The sisters' story is sweet. The high school is unrealistic. It's perfect!

9. "Maid In Manhattan"

We don't give J-Lo enough credit for her movies. This is actually one of my favorites on the list. Plus... Voldemort!

10. "Sixteen Candles"

A genuinely funny and somewhat realistic story of an average-looking teenage girl who gets to date the cutie with an awesome sports car while rocking voluminous '80s hair? You bet I'm gonna watch it a minimum of three times a year!

11. "10 Things I Hate About You"

Based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew." I'm an English Education major. Don't act so surprised.

12. "Emma"

Even if you don't love Jane Austen (as you should,) sometimes it's just nice to watch rich people fall in love. Why do you think "The Bachelor" is so popular?

13. "Clueless"

Based on "Emma" by Jane Austen.

14. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

One of the funniest ones on the list! Also, recognize the guy? He's the dad from "To All The Boys I've Loved Before."

15. "Set It Up"

One of Netflix's best (yet tragically underrated) rom-com treasures! I've watched it twice in the past month.

16. "Wedding Crashers"

Lots of my guy friends like this movie and will probably refuse to watch it now that I've gone and labelled it a rom-com, but I just had to have it on this list!

17. "Four Weddings And A Funeral"

This isn't my favorite rom-com, but it is a classic, and I do love how the title tells me exactly what I'm in for.

18. "Crazy Rich Asians"

Maybe it's the fact I live and breathe Jane Austen, but I have a soft spot for when the girl accidentally falls for a rich guy.

19. "White Christmas"

I know it's a Christmas movie about people old enough to be my parents, but it's just so classy!

20. "Always Be My Maybe"

'Always Be My Maybe' Netflix

This is THE funniest movie on the list! It made me snort in front of my family.

21. "Legally Blonde"

Elle Woods is the biggest icon on this list. Sorry, not sorry.

22. "A Cinderella Story"

I've never heard this called a rom-com before, but I think it checks all the boxes off.

23. "Miss Congeniality"

24. "Love Actually"

@jdwomen

I cried 20 times more than I laughed, but it's still going on this list.

25. "Another Cinderella Story"

When Drew Seeley sings that catchy little tune while trying to moonwalk towards Selena Gomez, my inner pre-teen absolutely melts!

26. "Enchanted"

I know she's like an Oscar-worthy actress and everything, but if Amy Adams could be in a few more cheesy romance movies I would be super grateful.

27. "27 Dresses"

Clever?

28. "Dumplin'"

occ-0-1722-92.1.nflxso.net

Dolly Parton music playing in the background of an inclusive beauty pageant in the middle of Texas! Why has this not been done sooner?

29. "When We First Met"

www.youtube.com

This movie does not get nearly enough credit! Adam Devine is so sweet in this rom-com!

30. "A Christmas Prince"

A Christmas Prince

This is at the bottom of the list because I'm ashamed that I've seen this movie as much as I have. But, for real, don't judge me.

BONUS: "Isn't It Romantic?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVYzxm_RqMg

This is technically just a comedy, but if you are as obsessed with rom-coms as I am, then you have to see it! I could not stop laughing!