"Rogue One" - The Most Important Star Wars Movie: Part Two

A spoiler review about the latest Star Wars installment.

11
Flickr

It's time to dive into Rogue One again. If you have not seen it yet, turn back now because spoilers are ahead. Ready? Have you came back and seen it? Let's go.

When the movie first started, the beloved text of A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... came up on screen and I braced myself for the iconic theme to start playing. To my surprise, it just dove into the story, and I personally thought that it was suitable to the story. The reason why is because that Rogue One is not part of the main storyline of Star Wars; it's a stand-alone story that brings an important key part of the franchise to the light (I did not expect to put that as a pun, but I'm going to go along with it).

Like I mentioned before, the diversity in the cast was great, but what I also loved about them was that they had different personalities that just clicked together. Jyn Erso was a great main character for this story and, I think, is definitely going to pave the way for more complex female characters in the future. Cassian...dang. He is person to be with if you're on a mission. He's a leader I think anyone would follow across the galaxy. K-2SO was awesome. I just loved how straightforward and sarcastic he was. He had so many great scenes ("Did you know that wasn't me?").

Chirrut was the closest character to being a Jedi in the film, a devout believer in the Force. He would have been an amazing Jedi Master if the Jedi weren't completely wiped out, excluding Ben Kenobi. Definitely the most spiritual character in Rogue One. And his companion Baze Malbus was just as awesome. I couldn't pick a favorite character even if I tried. All the main characters were my favorite; they are definitely my favorite ensemble cast. I have a feeling that all of them are going to become just as iconic as other famed Star Wars charcters. So, to all of the actors in this movie: You rule.

Now let's talk about the character callbacks to the original trilogy.

I loved seeing Darth Vader; it was a great scene with him and Orson Krennic. It just showed how much of an amazingly iconic villain he is. I liked seeing the thugs from A New Hope that Ben Kenobi takes down in A New Hope (ha ha, you're going to get killed pretty soon). As for R2 and C3PO, I didn't think it was necessary to see them, but that was the only thing that bothered me with bringing back important characters from the original trilogy.

With the CGI, I think Rogue One is the first movie that I have seen to use it to bring back characters from the original series. Yes, was pretty obvious that Captain Tarkin wasn't really there (and Princess Leia, I'll get back to her in a moment), even with the body doubles, but I think is was amazing to see how far we have gotten with special effects and we can only advance more with it in the future.

Now let's get to the elephant in the room that I really want to talk about: the ending.

At first, I did not expect anyone to die, but as story went on, I started to get the feeling that not everyone was going to survive. And quick note before going on, afterwards, I did find out that originally there was going to be a happy ending where everybody lived due to the director's insistence. But seeing our heroes sacrificing themselves was so impacting. Each time a character met their fate, they just knew that the actions they took going forward was going to help a cause they believed in.

There would be a moment where they would recognize something that they would have to do, accept that fate and do everything that they could to help their friends and allies to move forward, K-2SO and Bodhi being a great example. That scene were Chirrut walks to the controls while the blasts are missing him entirely (while paying homage to a funny R2 and 3PO scene in Episode IV) is so powerful that it leaves you speechless. And the transition from Chirrut's "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me" to Baze's "The Force is with me, I am one with the Force"...my goodness. But all that it took for me to start crying was Cassian and Jyn on the beach (you know what I'm talking about).

That was the most I have cried from a Star Wars film. These deaths made me cry more than Han Solo! I thought that wasn't even possible, but while I was sitting in the theater looking at the aftermath of the destroyed planet, one of the greatest things that could ever happen in a film happened: you have to see the payoff of the characters' sacrifice by seeing the plans being given to Princess Leia, thus setting the entire Star Wars series into motion. That is powerful.

Like anybody else, I would have loved to have seen our heroes save the day and have a happy ending, but this took a very realistic turn. By the time the credits started rolling, I was thinking about (at least for me) the main messages of the story: bravery, selflessness, and sacrifice for the greater good. Rogue One honestly made me think about how people in the military or in the army put themselves in harms way just so people and the country can be safe. We don't think about all the sacrifice that it takes just so we can live our normal lives. Getting an education, having a job, going out with friends and family. That's something we take a for granted and need to start appreciating more.

I know that's probably not what the creators were going for; they were just making another Star Wars film to fill up continuity gaps and expand it's universe. But Rogue One beautifully tied together all of the original themes and messages of the original series. That is why I believe Rogue One is the most important Star Wars film thus far.