Rogue One: A Review From a Star Wars Fanatic

Was the newest addition to the saga worth a trip to the theater?

13
Lucasfilm ltd

The wait was over this afternoon as I finally got to the movie theater to see the latest addition to the Star Wars franchise, Rogue One.

I didn't really have any expectations for the movie, I only saw one version of the trailer and was excited either way to see it because I'm a total Star Wars fanatic anyway.

For someone who has seen all 7 of the movies, this movie did a good job of giving us background information on what happened between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope with the Empire and the Rebellion.

In all honesty, I was so hoping to see even just a few scenes with Princess Leia in them as she was a part of the Rebellion at a young age, but she wasn't. The only familiar characters were Mon Mothma, Vader, and Grand Moff Tarkin, with Bail Organa making it into a few scenes as well.

If you aren't a diehard Star Wars fan, the movie may not have made the most sense, but you probably would have figured it out along the way. You definitely need to have seen at least the first three movies before seeing Rogue One. Seeing them all first makes it make even more sense.

Overall, I really liked the movie. It isn't my favorite Star Wars movie (The Empire Strikes Back will always be my favorite), but I still liked the characters and the story in it.

I was really happy with the main character Jyn Urso. When I was younger, the thing that drew me to Star Wars was that the female character was just as much of a hero as the guys were and I could relate to her strong personality and attitude. Jyn isn't that similar to Leia, but she still carries on the tradition of a strong female lead character that Carrie Fisher started back in 77 with the first Star Wars movie. She rescued herself and didn't need saving or protecting, just like Leia in the original trilogy and even Padme just a little bit in the prequel trilogy.

The one thing that I was a little bit worried about was how similar it would look to older movies with the technology and the ships and even how the characters dressed. I wasn't disappointed, the Star Destroyers were identical to the ones in the Original Trilogy and even the X-Wings and Princess Leia's ship looked exactly the same as the original movies, just much better quality. Even the decks of the Star Destroyers and the actors who portrayed the characters of Mon Mothma and Grand Moff Tarkin looked like younger versions of the people who played them forty years ago.

For the diehard Star Wars fan, I'd definitely recommend the newest addition to the saga. And for the non-diehard, I'd recommend a weekend marathon over break before heading out to see the newest movie in theaters. Rogue One was fantastic and left me impatiently waiting for the release of Episode VIII.