Rocky Horror 2K16 Review

Rocky Horror 2K16 Review

Fox goes for a classic with a mix of nostalgia.

49
Rocky Horror 2K16 Review
http://i1.wp.com/www.morningledger.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Rocky-Horror-Picture-Show-2016.jpg?resize=600%2C400

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show:" one of the most controversial productions of all time. I myself have only ever seen the movie, but I grew up hearing from people all the time that the only way to truly experience the Rocky Horror Picture Show was to see it in a live audience. Well, I never did see it in a live audience, and I barely even remember the movie as I was around ten years old when I saw it (likely with my mother on television).

Not remembering "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" very well is actually the thing that made me most interested in watching the new FOX production of it. I very rarely watch things on cable but this seemed like something I didn’t want to miss. So with my television remote finally found, popcorn popped, and girlfriend at my side, I fired up the old picture box and tuned into FOX Network to see what the 2016 approach to the Picture Show would look like.

For one thing I was very fond of the casting. Victoria Justice, for one thing, was an actress I was familiar with from her days on "Zoey 101." Seeing how she has grown as a performer as well as a singer was certainly a fun experience. I also enjoyed the choice of Tim Curry as the narrator, a nostalgic call back to the FOX productions predecessor. There was also the casting of Frank-n-furter her— him? —self who was an actual transvestite this time around.

The use of both a black Frankenfurter and Doctor Scott were interesting choices to add diversity to the film, although to be fair the only people who really care about that are special snow flakes and SJW’s. People only really care about how diverse things are so they can talk about what great people they are and how they’re “totally not racist.” I digress. The diversity was definitely a progressive choice and was a smart tactic to avoid hundreds of hate emails about how the network is racist. Good job FOX.

Moving on to the actual content of the production, I absolutely loved the blend of stage production and film used for the visuals. The movie begins with the “Science Fiction/Double Feature” performance and leads into a movie screen playing the movie with an audience that the camera constantly switches focus onto whenever there is a call back to the original film. For special effects, like ray guns, are used, but the characters who are supposed to die simply fall to the ground and “play dead” despite the networks clear ability to create a convincing death. The production is also set to look much like the viewer is sitting in an audience despite being filmed from multiple angle and included close ups and other film techniques.

The FOX Network did a marvelous job with their version of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” although it was not quite as raunchy as the original. The actors were spectacular, the roles were well casted, and the songs were performed beautifully. I would definitely recommend if you ever come across it on DVD, Blu-Ray, or potentially on the FOX website, that you give Rocky Horror 2016 a try.