Rock Is Not Dead

Rock Is Not Dead

The comeback of rock and punk music

371
Rock Is Not Dead
pancakesandwhiskey.com

"Rock is Dead" "Punk is Dead" Pop Punk is Dead" these are statements that I've heard on repeat like a broken record. Even Gene Simmons the bassist for the famous classic rock band Kiss said it himself. "Rock is finally dead," Simmons declared in an interview with Esquire. "The death of rock was not a natural death. Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered," Surprisingly enough Simmons didn't place the blame on the blurring of musical genres, or lack of creativity and originality for the death of rock n' roll. Simmons blames file sharing and the fact that no one values music enough to pay for it. We've been hearing this phrase since 1974 when the who first said it. Although evolution has created all sorts of new and different genres and types of music; and technology has made it easier to steal or download music illegally. Rock n' Roll is not dead and "Punks not Dead" and "Pop Punk is most certainly NOT DEAD!"

Sorry Simmons! but i'd have to disagree with you partially on your statement. I believe that rock music is still alive and well, theres still a large community who appreciates rock music. However rock music is no longer the preferred genre like it used to be. We saw this descent after the end of the early 2000's what was known as the pop punk or ego years of rock n' roll. This decline or sort of silence was due in part to the music industry catering to pop and rap over rock n' roll. And rock certainly isn't the only genre that seems to be put on a shelf. Country, alternative, Jazz, Odd Hip-hop and many other genres aren't featured or are ignored by the music industry. Taylor Swift serves as a great example for the music industries preference for pop music. Taylor was famous when she was a county music singer. However, her fame and notoriety tripled after the release of her first pop album 1989. Swifts fan base multiplied rapidly after the release of this album.

So what is the truth about the music industry you may ask. In an article The Real Deal (the truth about the music industry). by; Jeriko One "The truth is big business controls the types of music that get exposure and become popular. The five major record labels; Sony, Universal, BMG, EMI and Time Warner dominate 85% of the market when it comes to sales of Compact Discs. Leaving only 15% for the hundreds of independent record labels and thousands of artists out there. And when indies get too big or an artist starts making noise these major companies usually pick up the artist or label. This way they control the artist/label, get a percentage of the sales and keep competition to a minimum."

This is why you may have noticed a disappearance of rock music. You may not have known about new bands in the rock or indie genre because they typically aren't exposed, or played on the radio as often or at all; in comparison to artists who receive more exposure like Justin Bieber, Drake, Taylor Swift, Beyonce. Still Rock N' Roll Punk and Indie continue to thrive and evolve within the silence of their own community.

New bands in the rock community are rising just as fast and powerful than ever before. Rock may have been dormant for a while but its coming back and silently conquering. Taylor Momsen and her band the pretty reckless are doing a fine job of preserving or bringing rock back with their classic and grungy vibe. Momsen's lyrics are thoughtful, witty and cunning, and her personality invokes a badass agenda in you. Another fairly new band that does a fine job of keeping things rocking is Hailstorm, with Lizzie Hale and her powerful voice and mysterious bad girl persona. Metal is still thriving with bands like In This Moment and the Butcher Babies paving a path for women in metal. Not to mention Metallica is back and more badass than ever with their newest album hardwired to self destruct. Sorry Kanye, Yeezus may have ripped off your logo but he'll never be as bad as this band and their legacy. And last but not least Slipknot and Marilyn Manson are touring with Of Mice and Men, a fairly new metal band. Yes they are still relevant.

Pop Punk also seems to be thriving as well as making a comeback! With many new bands such as Neck Deep, Real Friends, Modern Baseball, Tigers Jaw, State Champs, Joyce Manor, and more. These bands brought pop punk back and they're just as talented as the bands who paved the way for pop punk. Which by the way, your so called washed up bands are all rebounding their careers with new albums and tours. Pop punk is back for round two. Are beloved bands from the mo years, the days of pop punk are all releasing new and amazing albums. Blink 182 with California, Good Charolette with Youth Authority, Taking Back Sunday with Tidal wave, A Day to Remember with Bad Vibrations, Green Day with Revolution Radio, Panic at the Disco with The Death of a Bachelor, Brand New with Mene and I am a nightmare, Yellowcard with Yellowcard, Simple Plan with taking one for the team, Sum 41 with God Save us All (death to pop).

So there you have it! The industry of rock is as alive as ever, rocks just to cool to adhere by the new rules and limitations of the music industry! Long live rock!