Two Roads Diverged, And Other Cliches

Two Roads Diverged, And Other Cliches

The famous poem that everyone quotes to describe big decisions still rings true.

75
Two Roads Diverged, And Other Cliches
The Odyssey Online

Adulting is hard.

To any adult, this is a fairly repeated point. Almost everyone who has to “adult” will say this in their lifetime, and they will say it many times.

But what they don’t tell you is why it’s hard. They don’t explain that you must now make choices on your own, that you have to decide what is best for you.

I’ve just begin to realize this. And the next hard part is telling somebody you love you’re deciding something that they may not like or that will be extremely hard.

The consequences of all of our actions resonate more deeply than we realize, and sometimes it’s a shock to everyone we have to tell. Sometimes it's hard for them to wrap their brains around what is happening. And truth be told, it can be even harder for you to wrap your head around some things, too.

But you do it; you tell that person. And eventually, even though it feels awful, it ends up alright.

Because the best part about adulting comes from this hardship. The resolution, the gratification from knowing that this is truly the right choice is something that everyone feels after some hard decision. And I did. I felt the peace that comes from knowing that at this time, I made a decision that is the best for me. And the affirmation of peace that comes from knowing that is one of the best feelings.

Adulting never becomes easier – or at least I’m convinced it doesn’t. You just learn how to deal with it. You learn how to make hard decisions, and you learn what comes of them. And eventually, you gain the support of those that mean the most to you. In the end, those who love you always have your back they’re always in your corner.

And you truly find that when you have to adult, and choose the road less traveled by (and yes-that will make all the difference).