To The Rising High School Senior

To The Rising High School Senior

You've probably heard that this year is one of the most important years of your life... it's true.

352
To The Rising High School Senior
Photo by Andre Hunter on Unsplash

I know, I know, you're probably rolling your eyes reading this article because you feel like it's just another list of things you've heard before, but hear me out. Senior year is what you make it, and if you treat it as an obstacle between you and college, then it'll be one of the worst years of your life. Here's some advice that I wish I'd have known before I entered into my senior year of high school.

1. Take advantage of EVERY opportunity your high school offers.

Whether it be internships, technical classes, or clubs and organizations, PARTICIPATE. Being a Senior does not make you too cool to be in clubs or classes. These classes and opportunities will give you awesome knowledge that you can take with you to your college classes. Plus, these look AMAZING on college and scholarship applications!

2. On that note, take honors or dual credit classes!

If your high school offers these classes, and you are able to take them, take full advantage of them! It is so much easier (and more fun) to enter into college with your basic classes out of the way, because you are able to get started on what you're in college for-- classes in your major! Dual credit and honors classes that can be used as college credit are one of the best tools that high schools offer.

3. But if you do take these classes, make sure they transfer!!!!!

I cannot stress this enough. Nothing is worse than spending time, money, and effort on an honors/dual credit course that will get you nothing at your university. ALWAYS check with your college to make sure your classes will transfer!

4.Go to all the Dances

Now before you say "I don't dance," let me tell you something, I don't either. If you're anything like I was, you don't want to go to prom, formals, or any other dance held by the school. I get it, I do, but it is so fun to get yourself dressed up, even if you don't stay for long. I'm going to be honest, prom wasn't that fun to me, but afterwards I went out for ice cream with a friend, and that is one of my favorite senior memories. Just like senior year is what you make it, so are dances. Don't want to spend a lot of money? Hit up a thrift store or a second hand dress shop. Often these places are 10x cheaper, and they're just as cute.

5. Your class rank is irrelevant after high school. Don't let it bother you.

The stress, tears, late nights, anxiety, and constant competition between classmates is not worth it. I promise you; I've been there. This doesn't mean you shouldn't put in effort though, just don't beat yourself up over one imperfect test grade.

6. While we're on the subject of irrelevant things, the SAT and ACT are irrelevant too.

Your worth is not defined by a test. Your intelligence is not measured by how many correct answers you can choose in an hour. You are more than your ACT or SAT score. Don't beat yourself up over these things either.

7. Participate in Spirit Days.

There is something so fun about going to a cheap craft store and buying up everything you can find to turn yourself into a Disney character for rivalry week. It doesn't matter if you like athletics or not, spirit days are a fun way to make your Senior year experience so much more memorable. Trust me, you're never too cool to dress like a tacky tourist.

8. Don't let drama ruin your last year.

You're going to be away from all of these people in less than a year, so it's not worth wasting your last times with them on drama. Be the bigger person and apologize if you're in the wrong, and if you're not, then be the one to forgive and forget. Don't let drama get you down.

9. Cherish the time, and hold on to the memories.

Senior year is an awesome time, so you shouldn't wish it away or just wait for it to pass you by. Make memories. Have fun with your friends. Participate in every activity. High school is almost over.

10. But just know, there are better things coming.

High school may almost be over, but the end of one era is the beginning of another. Whether you're going into college, the military, or a job, life doesn't end when high school does. Be ready for the next stage of your life, because it will be even better than this one.

11. Don't let your faith weaken.

This year is going to be hard. I'm not going to lie to you; this is why it is so important that you use this time as a chance to grow even closer to God! He alone can get you through these tough times, and rejoicing is sweeter when you're rejoicing in Christ and not yourself.

Senior year is the gateway to the rest of your life, so make it the best.