Ripe Dreams Pipe Dreams: Cameron Avery

Ripe Dreams Pipe Dreams: Cameron Avery

Album Review

9
Ripe Dreams Pipe Dreams: Cameron Avery
Cameron Avery

Hailing from Fremantle, Western Australia, Cameron Avery has spent the past five years extensively touring with hometown psychedelic torch carriers POND and Tame Impala. After the break-up of a project in 2011, Avery formed The Growl. After touring and doing some research on the music that was selling in the Los Angeles community, Avery decided to not only work on some collaborative work in the area but to release a solo album based on the ambitious nature of the LA recording, film, and fashion industries in Greater LA.

This was the birth of Cameron Avery’s "Ripe Dreams Pipe Dreams," which was released earlier this week. While the album classifies in the alternative/indie genre, the sound of the album places it in other genres, such as pop with the opener "A Time A Place," jazz with the tune "Wasted on Fidelity," and even throwing in some spoken word with the tune, "Whoever Said Gambling’s For Suckers." With the use of strings in each song and tuning into the crooner style of Dean Martin, it’s hard not to fall in love with this album.

Avery takes each song and places his own special touch on it and while it may seem that each one is quite glamorous, the lyrics tell a much different story of luscious pain and heartbreak. He sings about lost love in a painfully earnest way, such as "Do You Know Me By Heart?" and "Wasted on Fidelity," which seem to be odes to failed relationships. However, he doesn’t focus solely on love. Avery adds a bit of humor to ‘Disposable,’ where he states that he is as functional as toothpaste or duct tape because “You can get me in a pack of two.” This song falls right in the middle of the album and maybe it’s to take the listener’s mind off of Avery’s continuous heartbreak which he returns to quite promptly after "Disposable" wraps up.

While Cameron Avery cannot seem to fall in love with the right girl, we can say that we have fell head over heels for his honest and heartbreaking music.