R.I.P. Michael Cordero: Gone Too Soon

R.I.P. Michael Cordero: Gone Too Soon

The show will never be the same without you.

83
R.I.P. Michael Cordero: Gone Too Soon
Warner Bros. Television

The spoiler alert from Gina Rodriguez on Instagram hit just about all "Jane the Virgin" fans really in the gut.

Michael Cordero is dead and is gone forever. Brett Dier, who plays Michael in the show, also posted on Instagram saying, "You won't want to miss tomorrow's episode. Trust me. #janeandmichael #janethevirgin. The death of Michael seemed so sudden. Everyone wanted to know how and WHY he died. If you watched the episode, Michael was getting ready to take the LSAT. He had not even taken the test when all of a sudden, he collapsed to his death right onto the floor.

He died from an aortic dissection as a result from the gunshot wound he endured in the season two finale. Showrunner Jennie Urman said, "Originally, I thought Michael would die earlier. But Brett is such an incredible actor – he gave us such great comedy and drama and first-rate exposition delivery (!), often all in one scene... So, we changed some things in the writers' room. Jane and Michael got married. They had sex. They moved into their first home. And I'm so glad we did that and I'm so glad all those firsts for Jane were with Michael. But this is a telenovela, as we so frequently remind you. And we are only at our midpoint."

So what now? What should fans expect to see for future episodes? At the conclusion of the tragic episode, viewers see that three years have passed since Michael's death. Baby Mateo is all grown up, and Jane is getting ready for a wedding. We have no idea whose wedding it could be: Xiomara's, Rogelio's? Flashbacks to Jane as a young widow during that grieving time will be crucial as the writers fill in the gaps of the past three years.

Thank you, Michael, for always being there for Jane and her family. She loved you dearly, and so do we, the fans. We will miss you!