Rihanna's Discography: A Semi-Detailed Ranking

What are Rihanna's best and worst albums? Take a look at my list below.

1450
Salon.com

So, I've basically been in love Rihanna since "Pon de Replay" hit the radio airwaves. Over the years, both her artistry and style has progressed beautifully, and now we have a total of eight albums from the Bajian superstar. So the question remains: which one of Rihanna's album is her best one. For disclaimer purposes, I'm basing my ranking solely upon the music that each album presents. With that being said, check out my rankings below:

8. Music of the Sun

Release Date: 2005

Standout Tracks: Pon de Replay, Willing To Wait

Reason(s) for Ranking: Rihanna's debut album wasn't bad in the slightest. It definitely has flavor and personality and even some inklings of potential, but truth be told, the album is lacking an artist's touch. Right when the album is leaning toward full-on dancehall, the next track is pure R&B. It's these jolts and jerks in the flow of the album that makes this her weakest album.

7. A Girl Like Me

Release Date: 2006

Standout Tracks: Unfaithful, Kisses Don't Lie, Dem Haters (feat. Dwane Husbands)

Reason(s) for Ranking: Rihanna's second album builds upon the efforts of her debut. Her vocals are better (thanks to some vocal lessons from Ne-Yo) and her attitude is becoming more believable. Simply put, Rihanna was still finding her musical niche on this album, which makes it #7 on my list.

6. Rated R

Release Date: 2009

Standout Tracks: Hard (feat. Jeezy), Russian Roulette, Rockstar 101 (feat. Slash)

Reason(s) for Ranking: If you had asked me last year what Rihanna's best album was, I would've said Rated R in a heartbeat. Up until that point in her career, this album was a drastic (and much needed) musical change for Rihanna's discography. The bravado of "Rockstar 101", the sensuality of "Rude Boy", and the tenderness of "Photographs" were early signs of Rihanna's mastery of musical versatility. With this being said, she was able to do the same thing on other albums, with better songs. Although Rated R is a personal favorite of mine, there are just other albums with better songs that places this one at #6.

5. Unapologetic

Release Date: 2012

Standout Tracks: Nobody's Business (feat. Chris Brown), Diamonds, Get It Over With, Loveeeeeee Song (feat. Future)

Reason(s) for Ranking: Unapologetic was Rihanna's last album before her three-year hiatus, and it did not disappoint. This is my favorite album of writers and producers included (Stargate, Sia, David Guetta, Ester Dean, and James Fauntelroy, among others). Musically, though, I felt like it delved a little too far into EDM, and lacked the balance that a couple of her other albums provide, placing this one at #5.

4. Good Girl Gone Bad/Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded

Release Date: 2007/2008

Standout Tracks: Don't Stop The Music, Rehab, Question Existing, Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)

Reason(s) for Ranking: I think we can all agree Good Girl Gone Bad was Rihanna's breakthrough album. Offering pop goodies like "Umbrella" and "Don't Stop the Music", this album also features "Rehab", one of my favorite songs by her. The reason for its placement is that the album's flow is super hyped, then very slow. If the album flowed better (and if "Disturbia" and "If I Never See Your Face Again" were included on the original album) then this album would've definitely placed higher. For now, it's at #4.

3. Loud

Release Date: 2010

Standout Tracks: Man Down, Skin, Cheers (Drink To That), Love The Way You Lie (Part II, feat. Eminem)

Reason(s) for Ranking: Loud, finds itself at #3 on my tally because there are some great songs on this album. The Rihanna-led "Love The Way You Lie (Part II)" is better than the original, "Skin" is the sexiest song she has ever recorded, and she sampled Avril Lavigne on "Cheers". Anyone who is able to sample Avril Lavigne and pull it off is a legend in my book. This album wasn't as cohesive as her others, however, which puts it at #3 on my list.

2. Talk That Talk

Release Date: 2011

Standout Tracks: Where Have You Been, We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris), We All Want Love, Drunk On Love

Reason(s) for Ranking: Rihanna's sixth album can be played all the way through, no skips necessary. Rihanna pretty much mastered all of her best qualities on this album: versatility, sex appeal, and a killer ending track. Even the remixes to "Cockiness" and "Birthday Cake" are jams, and features not just one, but TWO bumpin' club anthems. Rihanna put her foot in this album, but there's another album that just goes a little harder.

1. ANTI

Release Date: 2016

Standout Tracks: Work (feat. Drake), Kiss It Better, Woo, Love on the Brain, Desperado, Same Ol' Mistakes

Reason(s) for Ranking: Yes, it's true: ANTI is hands down Rihanna's best album. The album is musically diverse, vocally strong, and gets better with each listen. Just when I thought I didn't like "Woo", it's now one of my favorite tracks on the albums. Whether you need a bass-heavy banger like "Needed Me", a strong love ballad like "Love on the Brain," or an EDM treat like "Pose," there's a song for everyone, and Rihanna's artistic journey comes full circle, making this her best album.