10 Treasures You'll Find In Richmond, Kentucky

This small town has a lot of big treasures right around the corner.

2562
YouTube

Whether you have grown up in Richmond, KY or live there for college, this little city holds a big part of your heart. From tailgating at EKU Homecoming football games, which is a community event, to coming together to mourn the loss of Richmond Police Officer Ellis, “RichCity” has embedded itself into your life. As my time in Richmond is coming to a close, I find myself looking back on all of the memories and places that made my time in here so special.

Richmond, KY was established in 1806. Over 200 years of life make up this city and even those only scratch the surface. In these past four years I have lived here, a number of places will make this small town hard to leave behind.

1. Jigg Water

This is the place to be when the weather is nice. Daniel Boone always loved the scattered streams and lakes that made up Kentucky. It is so important to be aware of the beauty of your surroundings. It makes life much better. Jigg Water is the best way to take advantage of Kentucky.

2.The Family Dog

Although my generation never experienced this nightlife attraction, it is a part of downtown Richmond. Most of us pass it every day on our way to and from. This was the center of Richmond’s party scene at its height in the '70s. A three-story club sounds awesome to me. Now it stands as a vacant building or a monument of what Richmond was.

3. JerZees

This bar has been through it all. From endless drinks being spilled on the floor to graffiti on the bathroom stalls, it has resurrected more times than I can list. It has seen it all and continues to carry on.

5. Cafe Meeples

This small local restaurant is the largest board game library in Kentucky. Not only does it offer a comfortable environment, but the food is delicious. To be honest, I have gone there numerous times and ended up playing six-hour Monopoly binges. Who can resist a bubble tea and the Game of Life? Not me.

6. Purdy’s

Whether or not you like coffee (I do not), Purdy’s is amazing. Everything they have is thirst-quenching, and it is the best place to hang out. How many coffee shops have two floors? And it is located on Main Street.

7. Adorabelles

I love to shop local, and Richmond is full of local restaurants and shops. Adorabelles, a boutique, has had tremendous success in Richmond. They provide the city with adorable outfits for reasonable prices. I have a slight shopping addiction ever since I discovered the store. And they have amazing sales!

8. Jackson’s

This is another local restaurant. Sorry so many of these are food, what can I say? I miss having good food while being away at college and on a college budget. Jackson’s has home cooking with great prices. I go out to eat there at least once a month. My mom even got me a $50 gift certificate because she knew it would go to good use. Needless to say, it’s already gone.

9. University Shell

The best place to get gas in Richmond, no matter what the price. They carry Candleberry candles and Donut Dayz (formerly Poppy’s), the best donuts in Richmond, maybe even Kentucky. Another treasure, but I could go on about their donuts for hours. This shell is very clean and has a super friendly staff.

10. Hagan Hill Road

This is a road off Lancaster Avenue that is the epitome of Kentucky back roads. A one lane road that strolls along rolling hills and streams, it is the best place for a cruise when you want to roll down your windows and sing at the top of your lungs.

I will miss this city and these local treasures that made my college experience so great. Days spent eating sandwiches and playing board games or hiking to Purdy’s during the snowpocalypse for a taste of warmth are my favorite. These are times we will never get back. Thank you for the memories, Richmond. I will never forget you.