22 Things I'll Miss About High School

22 Things I'll Miss About High School

Take it all in while it's still happening, and don't be so eager to graduate.

836
22 Things I'll Miss About High School
Nicole Gromadzki

Ah, high school. The phrase may evoke distinct memories of crowded hallways, mediocre cafeteria food, stressing over tests, and general drama. But honestly, despite how most seem to look back on their high school years with slight aversion, some of the most transformative moments and happy days of my life were entirely because of Quakertown High School. I mean, I would never have stumbled upon some of the most wonderful people in my life without it. Even the bad days taught me that nothing in life is forever, and that those "best days of my entire life" will happen again and again. Putting it simply, the entire high school experience taught me that there are amazing people, not so amazing people (who don't deserve your energy and time), moments in time where you will feel the happiest ever, and also moments which will make you appreciate the good even more. Now let's look at just a few things I will miss about being a high-schooler.

1. My favorite teachers

I must admit that some of my fondest memories were thanks to awesome teachers who really got to know us on personal levels while also helping us achieve our academic potential. The numerous food days in Spanish, MackJune back in junior year, and other wonderful days were all because of the teachers. I really will miss my favorite teachers, and I want them to know I'm beyond grateful for all they've taught me.

2. Fall football games

Honestly, one of the most nostalgic things about high school were the football games. Just being up there all decked out in themed outfits and screaming cheers obnoxiously with my friends made me feel so wholly present in the high school experience. I definitely had some of my hardest laughs in the football stands with people who I felt so glad to know.

3. PNF meet-ups

So for everyone outside of Quakertown, PNF stands for Plain and Fancy, a diner and a true landmark of the town. To follow up the football games, we would all head over to PNF for cheap mozzarella sticks and pierogis where we would also laugh hysterically at who knows what, we were honestly just living our best lives and following our own traditions.

4. The dances and proms

All those school dances like homecoming, prom, winter formal, and you bet that I showed up at each one ready to have the most fun. Again, it all goes back to those happy days where you'd get all dressed up and take photos with your greatest friends.

5. Lunch

Ok, I am not saying I'll miss cafeteria food by any means, but the actual time we had to sit down with friends and either rant, stress-study together, or simply joke around was something I'll cherish. Some of the funniest moments went down during lunch and that'll always stay with me.

6. Meeting up with friends at our lockers

The simplicity of it really gets me for some reason, but I would truly look forward to all meeting up and walking down to lunch or classes together.

7. Hallway decorating

As a member of the student council, I'd help out with decorating the hallways for holidays or big events, and it was just such a bonding experience as we blasted music and painted banners or hung up posters together. The enthusiasm among students as they saw the decorated hallway the next day would make me feel proud and happy that I could contribute to that.

8. Pep rallies

Not a lot compared to gathering the entire school into the gym and enjoying the various festivities which the pep rally offered. The marching band performance, the annual pep rally video, all the mini games, the cheer performance, dance performances, and just the carefree chaos of it all. And also decorating and setting up for this event was stressfully a very fun time.

9. Hanging out in the library

Some days I didn't have dual enrollment classes, so I hung out in the library with other classmates and that's really nostalgic to me for some reason.

10. Clubs/extracurriculars

I would encourage every high schooler right now to GET INVOLVED. You really will regret not trying new things and being open to experiences, because who knows, maybe that club will spark a passion or teach you something you never knew about yourself. I found a love of service, reading, and politics among other things through the various clubs I joined.

11. Reading some great books

Honestly, in my high school English classes, my love of reading was fueled even further by teachers who assigned some incredible books. My horizons when it came to literature were widened immensely, so I'm glad that I actually read Shakespeare and Wuthering Heights.

12. Actually learning

Some classes which I took truly had an impact on me and opened my eyes to a new way of thinking or perceiving the world. I did learn such valuable information and lessons, and I'm grateful for it all.

13. Open campus

During finals week, we had this 2 hour block of time for lunch where we could leave school with friends and just venture out for food. Some great memories were made during these days.

14. The familiarity of it all

The comfort of having an established routine and people who you know will help you out was definitely a nice thing to have. Although my hometown is quite a boring place, it is home and it has that comfort to it.

15. Parking lot dance parties

Vividly remember that after a Reading Olympics competition, musical practice got out at the same time so we all had a parking lot dance party at like 10 pm on a school night and felt so free.

16. Free periods

Enough said.

17. When working hard payed off

Nothing compares to the feeling of seeing that A on an essay or assignment that you stayed up all night grinding away on.

18. Assemblies

Weirdly, it's just one of those things that's so inexplicably "high school" that I'll miss it, no matter how annoying they seemed in the moment.

19. Playing cards after finals were over

Again, the period of time after finals week was so incredibly boring because classes were over but we still had to be there. But I must say that there's something nostalgic about someone whipping out a deck of cards after finals and a random group circling up to pass the time in a fun way.

20. Learning a whole lot of life lessons

High school is four years of your life, so hopefully you would learn and grow and become a better version of yourself. I know that I will keep learning as life goes on, but I'm so glad to see how far I've come when it comes to my strength and confidence in myself among other things.

21. The friends

By friends, I mean the best friends and the friends who you sat next to in class and the friends who you ate lunch with. I appreciate every person who has entered my life as a positive force in high school, because they were there for it all in a way. High school also did give me the close people I hope to be friends for life with, and that is something I won't forget.

22. Home

Lastly, I will miss being home. It will be beyond weird to not physically be with my amazing mom and brother every day. The homecooked meals and the comfort of my own bed will soon be a thing of my childhood and teenage years. The nights where we laughed so hard at reality TV and the days we went out on adventures are something I'll cherish as part of my high school years for my entire life. I know that my home and my family will still be here, I guess it's just odd and also comforting to think I'll soon have another home at Villanova.