Revolution: Entertainment's Evolution!

Revolution: Entertainment's Evolution!

For growth, a creative individual must stretch their roots and branches, on the streets and in the lab.

15
Revolution: Entertainment's Evolution!
HBO

That kid you see on the train doing backflips between 59th and 125th. The dancers on the corner spinning on a makeshift cardboard mat, using every inch of the world as a studio. The rappers, singers, and instrumentalists that stick like glue to their talents. When compelled to do what you feel like you're made to do, can you really blame them?

Many cultures have a history of their own musicians, actors, poets, dancers, painters, and they all have one thing in common: that's performing.

This generation growing up has become the evolved barbershop quartet, the boy bands and singing groups that would sing for the love of singing or the interest of a lady. Genderless, colorless talents that some call gifts can be seen and heard from people of all ethnicities, wherever there is an open space. Once someone has the awareness of their calling to entertain with a talent they possess, the world becomes a venue. It may seem excessive or unnecessary to some who aren't as passionate about their talents.

Art is everywhere. We've always been an ever-changing artistic society. Whatever environment you put any artist of every kind into (visual, vocal, instrumental, culinary, dance), there will be the gifted that thrive in creating/expressing their art and others that struggle. Hearing "SHOWTIME" may not be someone's impression of art, but every amateur B-boy move, hat trick, and dance move is their personal protest and extension of their own expression.

From the cast of "Lion King" to Tyrese Gibson, Pepsi commercials, and Grammy performances, connecting directly to where people are is literally ground level. That's how we get concerts, a person standing by their talent, and nothing alone to entertain people that surround them. (DMX @Woodstock 99 below)

Without the innovative spirit from performers, our mainstream media wouldn't have anything "new" or "fresh." Artists are influential, and they show us that we have to be unafraid to go for what you believe in.

Regardless of what you are or where you are, if you have a way to express yourself, a way to paint your metaphorical picture of the world, why not? With the invention of radio, cameras, television, cell phones, the internet, we have skyrocketed past physically being awestruck in front of someone, to being amazed by a talent they have from any part of the world. Now you don't have to even leave your house be an active member of society. But that doesn't mean that people don't interact. I digress.

Evolution is the natural order of progression. Yet history is bound to repeat itself. Sometimes, it's repeated only to get done better the second time around, or as many times as it takes. Even some of the older barbershop quartet groups may be caught singing in public. I've seen everyone who has the ability to showcase talent and skills make their own stage if a traditional one isn't made for them. Magicians, comedians, mimes, actors, DJs, athletes, all kinds can be seen making an appearance, taking part in the revolution of public entertainment.

The magic of putting a talent out in the public is superb and never fails. It's only up to the public whether or not that person or thing stays in the public eye. Albums don't sell themselves, and hit records don't stay hits if no one listens to them. YouTube is a prime example of public appreciation. It doesn't matter where or how long the video is, if it grabs the attention of multiple people, you'll see the results in the views and likes.

This generation is moving fast with learning how to grab ahold of the world's attention. People of all creeds and colors can express themselves, however necessary. You just have to be bold enough to believe in yourself, and like the Nike ad or Shia Labeouf says, "Just do it!"