Reviewing "The Handmaid's Tale"

Reviewing "The Handmaid's Tale"

A spoiler-free review of the award-winning series.

37
Reviewing "The Handmaid's Tale"
Hulu

Released in April of this year, The Handmaid's Tale became one of, if not the best new series of the year. The show is centered around an almost dystopian society in the United States, in which fertility rates plummet, due to widespread outbreak of sexually-transmitted disease and pollution, and a new religious group takes control, in hopes to preserve humanity. This society has "handmaids," whose sole purpose to this society is to bear children. The show follows handmaid Offred and her just trying to survive in this new world.

Since it release, the show has instantly become a hit. The show is based of the 1985 novel of the same name. Streaming giant, Hulu picked it up for an initial 10-episode first season in 2016, and has since ordered a second, set to be released sometime in 2018. The show has garnered almost universal praise. At the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards earlier this month, the series managed to take home 8 awards, including Oustanding Directing for a Drama Series and Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series, as well as Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series (Alexis Bledel). Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Ann Dowd), Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series (Elisabeth Moss). It also became the first show from a streaming network to take home the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, beating NBC's This Is Us, Netflix's House of Cards, The Crown, and Stranger Things, and HBO's Westworld.

This show deserves every praise it has recieved. It captivates you from the very first episode, and doesn't let up. It has some of the most moving and most powerful performances on TV today. It keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very last second of the first season. It has twists and revelations that you don't see coming at all, and the entire series is wonderfully written.

If you have Hulu, I recommend you watch it immediately, and if you don't I recommend that you subscribe to it and watch it.