Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' Not So Unfortunate To Watch

This series is full of unfortunate events but it would be unfortunate NOT to watch this series.

25
NPR

"It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing" -Lemony Snicket

As of January 13th, Netflix introduced yet another Netflix Orginal Series, "A Series of Unfortunate Events." Now, I don't watch many of the original series, but ever since October, I have been waiting patiently for this adaptation (or rather, checking the days off on my wall like a mad man).

The book series that would soon become a film in 2004, and now a Netflix show, was all started by the author Daniel Handler or as the world should know him, Lemony Snicket. The 13 books follow the life of the three Baudelaire children whose parents died in a house fire and were passed around from guardian to guardian.

With a large fortune following the children, so does Count Olaf, who just wants the fortune for his use. So, as it would be expected, mystery and comedic adversity are weaved into each book, following the children to each place they go. From "Bad Beginnings" to "The Vile Village" to "The End," these books leave you with more questions than answers, and the series did that as well.

First, let me start off by saying that as someone who has read all 13 books plus the additional reading, I was skeptical at first due to the movie. The movie was decent but played more on the comedic acting from Jim Carrey than the children's story. The children: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, are what the books are about, not Count Olaf. It is about their adventures, their inventiveness, and how they handle their misfortunes together as a family. The series brought back the dark tones of the books and made the children the focal point again. Sure, Neil Patrick Harris playing Count Olaf did an amazing job, but the show started and began with the children.

The children. These children did an amazing job as well. Being relatively new to the acting scene, they held their own next to actors such as Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Warburton, Joan Cusack, Alfre Woodard, and Catherine O'Hara. As the main characters, Malina Weissman playing Violet and Louis Klaus playing Klaus stayed true to their characters and portrayed these misfortunate siblings. They were able to hold themselves in such a way that the sophistication of their former life showed through, but they still had the innocence of children.

The show itself was entirely charming with its repetitive humor, such as the children constantly being told certain definition of words and the children responding with their previous knowledge of the word's meaning. The fourth wall breaking with explanations of metaphors and dramatic irony place humor throughout all 8 episodes but still leave room for dark tones as well with small musical numbers that keep the series lively and help break these dark tones.

Even with the obvious CGI and the twists, turns, and unfortunate plot twist at the end, the series was very well done. Netflix even threw shade at its viewers and Nickelodeon, who produced the 2004 film. Also, the show depicted overall unconcern of the children from the adults that are supposed to take care of them. The series often shows the children know more than the adults, and they must take care of themselves to make sure all three of them are safe since the adults can't do anything.

If I were to rate this from 1-10, I would have to give this series an 8.5.

It was incredibly good but still had room for improvements. The actors and actresses held their own but worked well with each other. This brought the books back to life and redeemed itself from the 2004 film. The twist and turns from episode to episode keep you on your toes if you have never read the books but let you reminisce if you have read the books. I would have to say that this was a great series to start off 2017.