Why Everyone Should Read Rupi Kaur's "Milk & Honey"

You must want to spend the rest of your life with yourself first. -Rupi Kaur

2487
Annie Spratt

Over the past summer, I had bought the poem book Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur. In my opinion, this is one of the books everyone should read at some point in their life. Not only does she write the most touching and heartfelt poems I have ever read, but each and every one of her poems describe her life. In four parts, her life is explained in The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking, and The Healing.

The Hurting was the first part of her book. When reading each page of this section, it is clear to see that her family life was much different than the average person. "She was a rose in the hands of those who had no intention of keeping her." Like this short poem, she has many other ones that, without actually saying it, make you realize the relationship she had with her mother and father wasn't the best.

After came The Loving. This had to be my favorite part of the book. The love this woman has written about was truly something extraordinary. No only was it touching, but also heart breaking. She had either never loved so hard in her life, or she still has so much more love to give. "I struggle so deeply to understand how someone can pour their entire soul, blood and energy into someone without wanting anything in return."

This part of this book was The Breaking. "I didn't leave because I stopped loving you, I left because the longer I stayed the less I loved myself." The was the section of the book that somehow brought me to tears. The love she expressed in The Loving was broken apart and put into words in The Breaking. My heart shattered as I read the poems explaining the way her love was broken and torn apart. My favorite poem from this part of the book was definitely "Neither of us is happy but neither of us wants to leave so we keep breaking each other and calling it love." This poem really made me think of the long hurting and breaking she must have gone through in order to make this section of her book.

The Healing. Probably the most uplifting part of this book. What she had gone through in The Hurting, The Loving, and The Breaking created The Healing. "Do not bother holding on to that thing that does not want you. -you can't make it stay."

Although I have never read any of her other pieces, what she wrote in this book was truly amazing, and I would recommend this book to any one I meet. What she has gone through throughout her life has made this a book that I didn't want to put the book down. Obviously I don't think she purposely put herself through all this pain and hurt just to write this, but it definitely made her create a wonderful best seller.