13 Poems From Milk and Honey Every Woman Needs To Read

"You are your own soulmate"
3413

I bought Milk and Honey as soon as I kept seeing posts on instagram of Rupi Kaur's poems. It was definitely worth the $15 I spent at Barnes and Nobles. I fell in love with this incredible book within the first few pages I started reading. Sorry if I'm being bias but it's just so relatable and I think many women who have read this book would agree.

Milk and Honey is a collection of poems about the author's journey of surviving everything she has been through. It's separated into four different parts: the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing. Why I think this book is so relatable is because every women has gone through most of the things mentioned in this book, in today's society, it's very important to speak about the issues women face, we need to have our voices heard. The idea of this post was thought of on March 8th ,International Women's Day.

These are 13 poems from the book that stood out to me the most that had to be shared:

1. Treat yourself with love.

2. You are more than just "pretty"

3. You don't need others to be whole.

4. Your body is your body, don't let anyone tell you what to do with it.

5. Like Kaur said, you are born beautiful, don't let society's thoughts change your mind.

6. You are everything you need, "you are your own soulmate".

7. Kaur is explaining how you must complete yourself first, before anything else.

8. Us women have to be there for each other.

9. Like many of Kaur's poems, this encourages self-love.

10. Stop blaming yourself.

11. You treat others and love them the way you want to be.

12. Kaur's poems open your mind to things you already knew.

13. You're doing it!

Her poetry celebrates being a woman in the modern world, despite all the challenges. Milk and Honey brings comfort to the reader and something they can always refer back to when they feel the emotions discussed in the book. Milk and Honey made me realize that women don't hate themselves because they are women, we hate the way society treats us. Every woman should be proud of who they are. Nobody is perfect. I, myself suffer from low self-esteem, as I know many women who do too. Yes, being able to love yourself is one of the hardest things you can do, but you should know you can do it. Self love comes from within, something that takes a lot of time.

These are just some of the poetry from the book which I thought many girls and women need to understand and keep reading. A lot of Rupi Kaur's poems help her readers understand that they aren't alone. The overall theme of the book was about relationships. Relationships with yourself, with your family and with people you love. It address many issues like self-esteem, health, breakups and more.

After completing the book, some things I learned were that I am worthy, just like everyone else. I also learned that every women should accept her femininity and be okay with our broken parts. This book is so important to me because it’s so honest and I can make connections with it, it's just so real because it's true.

With the beautiful illustrations and heart touching words, Rupi Kaur's Milk and Honey is definitely worth a read! If you have read it, what are your thoughts?