Kylie Lip Kit Review

Kylie Lip Kit Review

Is all the hype really worth it?

64
Kylie Lip Kit Review
Style Vanity

The fact that Kylie Jenner is the same age as I am and has her own house, multiple cars, her own makeup line, etc, is astounding. But is her makeup line all that?

Everyone went BALLISTIC when she was first releasing her lip kit products. In February, when I first tried to buy Posie K, I couldn't. I had it in my cart and as I was putting in my credit card information, it sold out, which I think is unfair because I already had it in my cart.

To this day I have purchased 4 lip kits and I have definitely had mixed reviews and experiences with them.

The first ever lip kit I purchased was true brown k, because it was the only one that wasn't sold out at the time, so I figured I would try it. The lip kit comes with a lip liner and the liquid matte lipstick. I don't use lip liner much, so I just used the lipstick. Kylie's lipsticks have a very sweet smelling, very distinct, vanilla scent which I love! Although I don't wear the true brown k much, I love it. The lipstick dries on quickly and stays on for a while, if you want to get it off before it wears away, good luck!

The second lip kit I purchased was Posie k, the one that I wanted initially. When I received it, I was kind of disappointed. In all of the pictures she posted, it had seemed like it was a much lighter/brighter pink than the one that I have. I was awed by all of the pictures, and then when I went to put it on, I didn't see the resemblance. For this one, I actually used the lip liner, and it wears down very quickly, so make sure to get a sharpener. Nevertheless, it's still a cute color, and I wear it the most often out of the ones that I have purchased. I was kind of upset when she released Posie K as a lip gloss, because I feel like I would wear that more, but I already have it as a matte.

With the next lip kit, I was extremely disappointed. I purchased the cute purple, otherwise known as Kourt K. When I applied it to my lips, the formula was extremely patchy, something that did not happen with my other lip kits. I tried to apply it multiple times, with the same result of the patchiness. I even searched on twitter: 'Kourt K patchy' and some people had the same problems. I ended up just giving this one away.

With my next purchase, I was disappointed too. Kylie had released a black lip kit, and then a sparkly black metal with blue undertones, called KyMajesty. I was excited to buy it and try it. Although it is fine when I wear it (it looks like a galaxy!), I wasn’t too pleased with the actual bottle of the metal. When I opened it up, the applicator brush was prickly (I don’t know how to explain it but it wasn’t smooth like my other ones in the mattes). After watching some youtube reviews on the metals, people were saying that the bottle was not full. They would swish around the applicator in the tube to reveal the thin layer against the bottle, and then what was actually inside was about 1/2 or 1/3 full tube, just with trying it on once or twice.

I thought this couldn’t be true, and tested it on my own metal bottle of KyMajesty, and it was true, despite the fact that I only used it once to see what it looks like on me. I couldn’t believe it. I swished my applicator brush around in my matte bottle, and that didn’t happen, so why was this the case for the metal? I emailed customer service about a month after the purchase, and showed them pictures of the basically empty bottle, and the bristled applicator brush, comparing it to my Posie K one, because there was definitely a difference. They emailed me back saying that they “fill all of their metals to the same fill weight to avoid leakage,” and they sent me another one as a “one-time courtesy replacement.” When I received the replacement, it was in the exact same condition as the one I received before, bristled/fuzzy/non smooth applicator brush with a 1/2 empty bottle.

I guess I won’t be buying any more metals from her! But she keeps hooking me in on cute lip kits. Her recent birthday edition Leo lip kit looked good, but I never got the chance to buy it. Her summer shade Kristen looks great, and I am so tempted to buy it! I’m actually surprised that it is still in stock! It’s a good thing that she is making more and more lip kits so that the website does not crash and run out of stock so soon, and people can buy whenever. She is also coming out with more and more shades and other things like liners, palettes, etc. For a combined $29 for a lip liner and lip kit, you can’t beat it. The cheapest lip liner at MAC, for example, is $17.50 by itself, and then about $21 for their matte lipstick, so it is definitely a cheaper option.

What do you think? Did anyone have any problems with their lip kits or metals? Is all the hype really worth it?