Review Of Hacksaw Ridge

Review Of Hacksaw Ridge

"With the world so set on tearing itself apart doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together"

54

On November 2, 2016, the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" directed by Mel Gibson came out. It is a war movie. A true story of a World War II American Army Medic, named Desmond Doss. Desmond refused to kill anyone because of his religious beliefs. He was the first man who won the Medal of Honor without firing a single shot in the entire war. I am not one to jump at the chance to go to a war movie, but there was much more to this movie than just violence. After watching the trailer, it is obvious that this movie is about standing up for what you believe in and to not let anyone tear you down.

Although it was a war movie, it was so inspirational. In the beginning of the movie, you learn that Desmond had a difficult childhood growing up. His father was in the army, but lost his three best friends in it, drinks a lot, and beats his family. When Desmond asks his mother why his father hated his family, she said he doesn’t and that she wishes they knew him like she did before the war. It is easy to understand that the war had really messed him up. But within a short time, both of his sons enlist in the war. His father was not very happy about it, but he did not try to stop them. Desmond told his father that he could not sit back while everyone was going off to fight for the country. However, since Desmond was a little different than any other army men, he had rough start inside the army.

The movie expresses life lessons that I think that everyone should see and understand. Stay true to what you believe in. If you don’t, how will you ever truly be yourself? Also, it tells us not to let anyone discourage us. Don’t let them get to you. Take their negativity, and use it as your motivation to prove them wrong. Believe in yourself, have faith. Even if you’re struggling in what you’re doing, don’t stop; keep pushing through. Push through until you get to your goal, and even when you get there, keep going. That is exactly what Desmond Doss did in the movie. Every time he went back for another injured person, he kept saying, “just one more” over and over. He ended up saving 75 lives without firing a single shot or use any weapons. Sometimes when the world is falling apart, try to put it back together. That is what Desmond Doss tried to do. The movie allows you to see the brutality of the war, showing that it is truly awful. You should hate war, but you should have a love for the warrior. Violence should not be the answer. Violence does not solve things, it only creates more issues.

The biggest lesson in this movie that really stood out to me — because it is so relevant to the world today — is the lesson that you should never disrespect those who do not agree with you. Disrespecting others will not change their views or beliefs. We have the freedom of choice in this country, and you shouldn’t ever deny that to someone. Desmond had tons of people who disrespected him because he wanted to go to war, but did not want to kill or touch a weapon. However, Desmond never fought back. He did not ever attack or disrespect someone because they disagreed with his view on weapons and killing. I think he accomplished a lot more than everyone who did disrespect others because they did not agree with their views or beliefs. In the world today, there is a lot of disrespect coming from those who do not appreciate other opinions. Look at how people reacted after the election. Why, in a country where we have a freedom of speech, do others disrespect and silence the ones who disagree with them? This movie allows you to understand that treating someone like this accomplishes nothing, and in the end, you may just be proven wrong. Desmond accepted the disrespect, but he never let it change what he believed. Live a life true to what you believe in. Even though he was totally disrespected, he never allowed someone to stop him from being true to himself. It think the world should really listen to what this movie has to say. If we all lived the way Desmond lived his life, accepting others, maybe we would not be so divided.

This movie is truly amazing. I totally recommend others to see it. It’s truly inspiring. The way it was put together was perfect in my eyes. I have never come out of a war movie feeling as if it had changed my life, but this movie has left such a strong impression on me. If you have a weak stomach, don’t eat anything before you go to the movie. It is very graphic, but I don’t think it would be as powerful as it is if it was done any other way. Hacksaw Ridge is, without a doubt, one of the best movies I have ever seen.

If anyone wants more information check out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/?ref_=nv_sr_1