A Review of De La Soul

A Review of De La Soul

There's more to music then just the chorus

11
A Review of De La Soul
ripr.org

I came across this song years ago while driving home from work. It was playing on one of those old school hip hop radio stations, and I remember bobbing my head to the beat almost instantaneously. The song “Me, Myself, and I” was featured on De La Soul’s 1989 album, 3 Feet High and Rising. De La Soul originally had this preconceived appearance, and it shadowed the style of hippies. When you look at the album cover you can even see the peace sign plastered against a hot pink background. There are also flowers, african jewelry, and one member wearing a dashiki. I love this song because they're addressing all the social commentary they get while using humor.

When I listened to the lyrics in the first stanza that narrator is asking a mirror what the problem is. He questions if it’s his clothes, or if the problem lies solely on the song itself. Whatever the problem is the narrator does not worry about it too much because he says, “It’s just me, myself, and I.” The second stanza has the same kind of concept, but with the voice of a new narrator. This time he acknowledges that he’s teased for his “one plug style” and “plug one spectacles.” He recognizes the label that has been put upon himself as being a “hippie.” Although these judgements are attached to him, he maneuvers around them claiming again with the chorus “It’s just me, myself, and I.” In addition to that, the listener will come across a third stanza, which happens to be my favorite. It talks about how proud the narrator is for being the man that he is. Quoting, “Please oh please let Plug two be himself, not what you read or write.” This speaks volumes to me, because a lot of times statements and opinions are written in the media to make society think a certain way about a particular person or group. However, he’s asking his audience to take him for what he is rather than what social media puts out for people to automatically believe. De La Soul is letting everyone know that they're just being them, and they don't want to be perceived as anything else, no labels, and no classifications.

I think the hook/chorus really makes the song. It’s very catchy and it gives the listener a very “can do” attitude. I think the song can boost ones confidence, because these men are not phased by what people say about them, because at the end of the day they know who they are and that is all that matters. As far as creativity goes, this song is definitely one for the books. They took a common phrase and incorporated it into a theme for an entire song. I haven’t heard one exactly like this, and if in the future one was created I doubt it would be able to compare. The production was perfect, even when I watched the music video for that time period it was clear and the effects were nice. Even today, when I listen to the song the voices aren’t fuzzy, so they did a great job on that. Speaking of voices, they all flow very nicely with the lyrics. No one seems out of place, or as if they don’t really belong as a featured voice on the song. As far as longevity goes, the song is about three minutes and forty-four seconds long, so I gave it a score of five. To me there was no line that made me shiver, so I gave it a heat factor of one, Don’t get me wrong it’s a great song, but there wasn't anything too spicy in it. The lyrical content was high on the spectrum, there was a clear message that was imbedded in almost every verse.

All in all I feel like everyone should give this song a listen at least once. I promise it will always be worth it.