In Review: L’Oreal True Match Foundation

An affordable drugstore option especially for day-to-day wear on normal-oily skin.

3235
Franki Hanke

The L’Oreal True Match foundation is a well-reviewed, high-performing drugstore level option for a base foundation. It’s been on the shelves for years and is consistently highly rated. It performs best on oiler skin types looking for a natural coverage on a budget.

The brand advertises the foundation as a “ultra pure formula” with no oils, fragrances, or fillers. The ingredients Vitamin A and C, wheat germ and grapefruit extract are said to keep skin “nourished, protected and healthy.” Wheat Germ oil is rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E (accounting for the Vitamin A in this foundation) and supposedly supports collagen production and prevent scarring. Grapefruit extract, on the other hand, contains vitamins A, C, and E and is an antibacterial ingredient to help heal skin.

Available in a respectable range of 33 shades, they try to cater to a variety of skin tones. Compared to other drugstore foundations, in similar price ranges, the amount of shades is consistently higher with a range more often comparable to the range seen in high end foundations.

This foundation is very runny in consistency. When applying with a damp Beauty Blender makeup sponge, I found a little bit of product to do well evening the tone of the skin and covering discoloration. Over raised pimples and drier spots, it does tend to cling or skip. Very close to the skin, the makeup is visible sitting on the skin, but from a natural distance flaws are less visible. The coverage is light upon a first layer and builds to a natural light medium when layered, which fits to the advertised light-medium.

Over the course of the day, the foundation does wear off. I found a consistent, lasting wear up to the five hour mark; but at six hours it had begun to wear (not badly, but slightly). From there, it began to fade.

Depending on how long your days are, it’s unlikely this foundation will last at full strength from application before work through the end of your evening out, but it will last decently through a six to eight hour shift on the morning application and through an evening if you touch it up with a fresh layer in problem areas where its faded.

Reviews online from Amazon, Ulta.com, L’Oreal’s own website, Walgreens.com, Makeup Alley and CVS.com averaged a star rating of 4.27 out of over 7,000 reviews combined.

In 2016, L’Oreal True Match was nominated by makeup.com to be the year’s “Best Drugstore Foundation” which is understandable when you look at it’s many benefits: wide shade range that allowed users to find their shade exactly, the light feeling when wearing it, the smooth (non-cakey) appearance, the compatibility with sensitive skin.

The disadvantages, as noted by reviewers, are its tendency to cling to different textures on the face, the lack of a pump with the packaging, and for some, the runny consistency.

For some with dry skin, this foundation skipped or clung to the drier spots on their face. However, on well-moisturized and exfoliated dry skin, it should perform better. As in my testing, the foundation tends to break over raised breakouts in similar ways to dry patches.

This foundation does include a built in SPF 17 for most shades. Shades W 4.5 Fresh Beige (Warm), W8 Creme Cafe (Warm), W9.5 Deep Warm (Warm), W10 Deep Golden (Warm), N9 Mahogany (Neutral), N8 Cappuccino (Neutral), C9 Deep Cool (Cool) and C10 Espresso (Cool) do not contain a SPF.

This product is exceptionally easy to find, if you’re looking to purchase, as it is available at Target, Wal-Mart, CVS and Ulta for physical stores. Online it can be found additionally on Amazon and L’Oreal’s own website. It retails for around $10 though depending on shade and location can be found for $5-$8 dollars.

For oily skin, especially with relatively even texture over the skin, this foundation is a great option both for the performance and the price. It is a great value.

I’d recommend this foundation as a daily or day-to-day foundation because of the added SPF and the natural (leaning towards light) coverage and finish, but caution it for special occassions where you may be taking photographs or need more intense coverage or drier skin.