Review Of KiD's Brand New Mixtape, "The KiD"

You want to listen to it. You KNOW you do.

7
KiD

I'll be taking a quick break from the seriousness this week to talk to everyone about my bro, KiD's new mixtape, "The KiD"! I am really excited for him because I know it took him a while to finish this since he wanted it to be perfect.

What I can say about this is that it is pretty much a perfect representation of the artist himself; there's no faking anything, and he's pretty transparent while showing you the many different sides of him. So let me give you a quick rundown of the songs and my experience with them:

1. Miss Call (Intro)

"Miss Call (Intro)" is a smooth, unconventional start to the mixtape. The artist introduces you into his psyche and exposes his experience being musical artist and the divided opinions he gets from those around him. It starts off as if you're in the room with him, and ends with him giving you more insight into that part of his mind, along with his doubts.

2. Lil Nigus (ft. KdaMic)

"Lil Nigus ft. KdaMic" takes the listener even deeper into KiD's psyche. In this song, he talks about his depression, but not in the way one would think. He takes the figurative route and cleverly personifies his mental state. It's a very honest song that expresses the artist's pain. We are also introduced to KdaMic, who has a smooth, raspy voice that adds a tasteful touch to the song.

3. Stage Play Ft. KdaMic

"Stage Play ft. KdaMic" is like a part two to Lil Nigus. The artist continues to talk about his depression. But instead of personifying it, KiD discusses how he wears a smile from day to day masking his fear of loneliness and anxiety.

4. NiteCap (ft. KdaMic & John Church)

In "NiteCap," the album takes a lighter note with an old school feel. It basically talks about three artists, KiD, KdaMic and (introducing) John Church, going out, chillin' and experiencing the night. It's a nice feel-good song. Rapper John Church's flow is just as exquisite and helps take you back in time.

5. Went Down

"Went Down" is a quick testimony of his life coming up. It takes you through his journey to finding himself and how his tribulation pushed him to be who he is today.

6. Good Time (ft. Chance)

"Good Time" continues to take the listener higher. "Good Time" is the kind of song you listen to riding into the city or to a party on a Friday night, after a long day at work. This song carries tons of good vibes, and Chance's verse just pulls the listener further into relaxation.

7. Vibe Out (ft. Tori Caesar)

The relaxation continues with "Vibe Out". It is a pleasant, mellow beat with sultry piano keys to draw you in. Tori Caesar's verse is equally as personal and the definition of chill.

8. Do you Believe In (ft. Lacy & Chance)

"Do You Believe In" is a cute song that takes place as if we're at a late night cafe performance. Lacy has very clear, refined voice that pairs really well with Chance & KiD. It's another feel-good song, but don't take it as just another feel-good song.

9. This Is Not A Love Song (Interlude)

"This Is Not A Love Song" is like a "f*** you" to a person who broke your heart, and the Taylor Swift's in your life. It's both humorous and uplifting.

10. KID (ft. John Church)

"KID" features a lit beat, and the KiD and John Church's signature duo. It's the kind of song you listen to when you need to turn up by yourself to make your mood better or with a group of people. There's no in-between.

11. Contrabution (Complete)

"Contrabution (Complete)" is an ode to those who have supported the KiD over the past years. It is a collection of voicemails from various people uplifting him. I think it's a great ending to a mixtape.

Overall, this was a pretty good album. My only critique, out of love, is that some transitions could be a bit smoother. Other than that, KiD shows a clear understanding and use of the technology that can be used to make music, and the beats were nice, sensible, and each feature fit well with the song in mind. He did a good job mixing humor, raw emotion, and honest lyricism in this mixtape.

Well done.