A Review Of "Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life"

This review contains no spoilers.

10
Betches

“Gilmore Girls” is a classic American TV series that aired from 2000-2007. It is about the mother-daughter relationship between Lorelai and her daughter Rory. The show goes through the ups and downs of Rory’s high school and college years at Chilton and Yale, and the estranged relationship with her maternal grandparents. I discovered this witty TV show during my freshman year of college. I fell in love with it instantly. I could relate with Rory and her love of books and the relationship she had with her mom. I found the small town of Stars Hollow enchanting and the fiascos Rory got into at Chilton hilarious.

I was quite sad after I finished season seven on Netflix and that there was no formal closure; it just sort of ended. I was thrilled when I saw on Facebook that “Gilmore Girls” was having a revival on Netflix. I waited for over a year to watch “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” When I finally had the opportunity to watch this miniseries, I was not disappointed. Netflix kept the original integrity of the show while expanding on the idea of what had happened to the characters nearly ten years later.

The series is divided into four episodes: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. Each episode deals with different issues and events unique to those seasons, emphasizing change and growth. It was wonderful to see that nothing had changed in Stars Hollow and that the characters are still their same witty and endearing selves.

Watching this miniseries brought back all the old feelings and memories I had associated with the original show. With exams looming, it was nice to watch such an uplifting show that took me away from my stressors for a while.

I give this series four and a half out of five stars. While I loved the storyline and characters, I hated the cliff hanger (the infamous last four words) and that there was more cussing than the original show.

I recommend this show to anyone who loved the original show and to anyone who loves a witty and uplifting TV series. It deals with grief, disappointments, love, and family. Anyone can relate to some aspect of the show, making it the perfect pick for anyone to watch.