Reviewing The Science Of The End Of 'Interstellar'

How black holes got people confused, what could have actually happened, and what does Nolan use to lure his audience.

18

The movie "Interstellar" by Christopher Nolan is one of the best sci-fi movies ever created. It is a mixture of different ideas, emotions, and challenges from a food crisis all the way to a father and daughter's love. With "Interstellar" being a sci-fi movie, the audiences undoubtedly expected spectacular science scenes in the movie. However, Nolan delivered an accurate theoretical physics movie with wormholes, the fourth dimension, black holes, and time dilation. He presents these contexts trough realistic CGI, heart-touching music, popular poems, and descriptive dialogues.

I chose the best and notoriously most confusing scene of the whole movie to review. This scene is from 2:30:00 to 2:35:00. It starts with Cooper (the captain of The Endurance) realizing that he fell into the fourth dimension tesseract and trying to send a message to his daughter back in time via gravity. It ends with the tesseract closing and Cooper finding himself traveling through the wormhole back to Saturn. In this scene, the director conveys a lot of thoughts and emotions.

First, the immense love between Cooper and Murph (his daughter) is highlighted in the movie. The lines used are like "My love towards Murph is quantifiable." Earlier, his eagerness to see his daughter is shown where he bashed the book rack and cried out "Murph!" This emotion was also backed up by the tragic-sounding yet melodic music of the organ. All in all, Nolan projects a robust feeling of father and daughter love in audiences.

Following that, the movie precisely depicts a lot of scientific phenomenons. Although black holes have never been clearly seen nor wormholes have ever been detected, with the use of dexterous CGI the producers have shown what is it like traveling through it, how time works near it, and so on. These are accurate depictions because all these behaviors are predicted theoretically. However, the scene that I have chosen is quite contradicting, as no one could survive falling into a black hole! They would be spaghettified. This is where Nolan leaves the fan to decide what happened.

There are many theories on the web. People say that Cooper died falling to the black hole and the fourth dimension tesseract was a near-death experience. During the ending of the section I am reviewing, TARS (the robot) says, "Fifth dimension bulk being created this." Contradicting this, Coop says "Future humans built this tesseract for us." It is hard to analyze from the mystery the director left to tell who made the tesseract. I believe it is the future beings who did it. However, there would be some people in the Cooper Station talking about it. All I can analyze from the clips is that the humans who made it are still not born. This is a tricky thing to grasp about time. Since time is relative and can be manipulated by gravity and acceleration, the future humans must be able to make the tesseract in the past. Furthermore, the bending of time is shown in my review clip where Coop shakes hands with Dr. Brand (a scientist) while traveling in the wormhole. Nonetheless, the big puzzling question still is how he survived the black hole. Is the fans' speculation correct that he never survived? Would Nolan leave out this small mistake when he had all the other science correct?

According to the theory of black holes, you can never see the singularity which is inside of it. In my review scenes, it seems that Coop fell into this singularity and transferred the quantum data to Murph. However, looking carefully at the clips where Coop fell into the tesseract, you can see star-like objects around the tesseract. This shows that he had not reached the singularity. In addition to this, his spaceship, from where he ejected, falls to another direction. I think the spaceship fell to the singularity and Coop was selectively pulled to the tesseract. Hence, this concludes that he did not fall to the singularity and almost all the science shown in the movie is plausible.

Moreover, Christopher also wants to indirectly convey one of the biggest and hottest topics of the present world: climate change. The scene I selected has a special message of how hard the astronauts tried to save the world they destroyed. Coop transfers the quantum data which will help Murph to solve the gravity equation that enables a huge population to travel in space. It implicitly tells that we cannot afford to risk the benign world we live in.

In conclusion, I believe the structure of dialogue, background music, and realistic CGI does a great job of leaving strong messages and emotions to the viewers. With overwhelming suspense in the movie, the audiences are also left scratching their heads. Nevertheless, I believe the main objective of this movie is to arouse awareness about climate change, make more space-cadets, and grow the interest in astronomy and physics among people. The producers have skillfully utilized literature tools and fulfilled their goals.