The Truth About Reverse Racism, From A White Woman In America

I'll be completely honest with you, a few years ago I called the boys who affectionately referred to me as a "dumb blonde" as undeniably racist. Yes, it was wrong for people to make assumptions about me based off of my appearance, but I later learned that was prejudice, not racism. There's a very fine line between racism and prejudice, which usually comes from a place of racial bias. Anyone, no matter their race, can be prejudiced and have biases against others, but racism is a different idea. It is built upon the systemic oppression that still hurts our country today.

Why Racial Minorities Can't Be Racist To White People

It's very simple: white people have white privilege, which gives us an upper-hand, from the time we're born 'till the day we die. Usually, not always of course, white people are more likely to be born in wealthier neighborhoods, which allows them to go to nicer schools since their families can afford to pay higher taxes for schools. With a better education, they are then able to get degrees, nice careers, and continue the cycle of systemic oppression. This doesn't mean that white people are doing anything wrong, and I also don't think it means they should have "white guilt" over what their ancestors did, but it does mean that they need to acknowledge the existence of their white privilege.

But Racism Isn't Really A Problem Anymore, Right?

Actually, yes, racism is definitely still a thing. One of my first relationships was with a Black guy, and I had a crash course into what it was like to be Black in America. There were several things that bothered me, but the worst was how we would be followed by security when we would go shopping. One time, we were at DSW Shoes, a designer shoe store in Dallas, and the security officer literally stalked us as we walked through the aisles. This experience angered me because I had been to the same store dozens of times before and never was followed by security. This same boyfriend also told me about a lawsuit he filed against a white customer who was racist and had lied in an attempt to get him fired from his job.

Systemic Oppression In A Nutshell

So what exactly is systemic oppression? According to the National Equality Project, "it is the intentional disadvantaging of groups of people based on their identity while advantaging members of the dominant group." Here are some examples of systemic oppression today:

-Redlining
-Bias in education
-Voter suppression
-Hiring inequality
-Medical discrimination
-Police brutality

So, What Can You Do?

It's no secret that our country has had a huge racial debate lately, so now, more than ever before, it is time to address these issues. First of all, if you're white or white-passing, please acknowledge your white privilege. Then, please try to educate your friends and family. Another very important thing for you to do is vote! Voting for candidates that will work towards racial equality is vital. And finally, work on any implicit biases you might have. Also, think about the world that you want your kids to grow up in. Would you want them to be worried about their Black friends getting shot by police? This is why I choose to stand up for what is right.