11 Things To Never Say To A Retail Worker

Because people actually say these things.

262

I've worked in retail for years, and some of the things i've heard are truly ridiculous. While i love helping customers find their perfect item, here are some thing's i've been asked or told by customers that made me want to hide in the break room.

1. "Can you watch my child?"

Hmm so I can double check if you like but i'm pretty sure when i signed up for this job i didn't sign up to be a babysitter as well. Sorry.

2. "Can you check the back?"

A solid 99% of the time when someone asks if there is more stock of an item in the back, the employee has already checked the back for that item in the same day. Our job is to help people buy things, and we are typically rewarded for making more sales. So trust us, if we say we're out of an item then we are out of it.

3. "I'm never shopping here again"

Well it's been a pleasant experience knowing you.

4. "Excuse me, I've been waiting in line for a long time"

Yes, wow you are correct. In fact, let me just ignore everyone who was here before you and help you first.

5. "The item isn't scanning? It must be free!"

Fake laughing at customers jokes is a big part of the job, but I've heard this so many times at this point it physically hurts to bring myself to laugh.

6. "May I use this coupon even though it's expired"

Fun fact, we actually just put those expiration dates for fun. Yeah, no.

7. "Can I use your employee discount"

Yes, random person I've just met. I will completely risk loosing my job to help you get 20% off your purchase today.

8. "This item was on the clearance rack and I won't pay full price for it"

I can completely understand that it's frustrating since you thought the item was at a discounted price, but that doesn't mean i can magically change the price for you.

9. "Do you work here"

No, i just bought the store uniform from a thrift shop and then come to the store to fool people like you.

10. "No, my card is not getting declined. It must be you"

Well, i've successfully managed to check out 100 other customers today and all of their cards worked fine. So, I'm going to go ahead and say i'm not the problem here.

11. "Why does [insert store product] cost so much?"

Just a warning, you may need to sit down for this one. Retail workers actually don't control the prices fo store products. Shocking, right?