8 Phrases A Retail Worker Says And What They Really Mean

For anyone who's ever wondered what's going through their barista's head.

21

With the holidays fast approaching, it is increasingly important to remember to treat retail and food service workers with kindness and respect. We know you're in a hurry to get your morning coffee or complete your Christmas shopping. I mean, hey, aren't we all? It's just sometimes when you put on a uniform or step behind a store counter, it seems like the people on the other side forget you're actually a human too. I didn't realize "blueberry muffin" was an emotion until I started working at a bakery and heard that in response to "Good morning, how are you?"

So here are all the phrases I say with a smile and what they actually mean. Remember, folks, tip your servers or else they'll tell their moms on you.

1. "Hi, how are you?"

Translation: Please treat me like a human being and use a little common courtesy instead of immediately barking orders at me.

2. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

Translation: You just awkwardly complained about a very personal problem to a stranger and I don't know how to respond to you.

3. "I'm not sick, it's just allergies."

Translation: I am actually a snot faucet who has to sneak into the back every five minutes to blow my nose but I couldn't find anyone to cover my shift so here I am, in close contact with the public.

4. "I'm sorry about that."

Translation: You just complained about something that is absolutely out of my control and this apology is not sincere.

5. "It's no trouble at all!"

Translation: You just made some ridiculous request that actually is a lot of trouble and will inconvenience everyone waiting in line behind you but I have to do it for you anyway.

6. "Oh goodness *nervous laugh*"

Translation: Please stop saying inappropriate things; I'm obligated to be nice to you but I'm actually super uncomfortable.

7. "Thank you so much!"

Translation: You just tipped at least 20 percent and I appreciate you funding my pizza addiction.

8. "Have a good day!"

Translation (multiple):
a. (If person was rude) I hope you step in dog poop.

b. You were actually decent to me and I genuinely hope your day goes well.

**Disclaimer: I actually really love my job and (almost) all the people who stop in, but inconsiderate customers are a real drag.**