Resume Skills Helpful Job Search
News

11 Amazing Skills That Will Take You Way Past Just Making Your Résumé Look Good

This set of skills will take you a long way in life... including both your personal and professional lives.

122
Unsplash / Emma Matthews
https://unsplash.com/photos/nMffL1zjbw4

There are some skills in life that our parents and teachers are always telling us about. The standard "leadership", "presentation", and "teamwork" skills are important for any job, but they show up on pretty much every résumé. Here are a set of skills that will surely set you apart from your peers as well as give you a successful future in the modern world:

Creativity

Photo by The Creative Exchange on Unsplash

In elementary school, every student was always encouraged to spread their wings, think outside the box, and let their imagination flow. Now, in a world of several strictly set standard procedures, it is more important than ever to seek creative solutions and find ways to improve current methods. Always be on the lookout with a keen eye and creative problem solving skills. Be the diamond in the rough, the single star in the sky, the one that goes the opposite direction. Sometimes, following the crowd isn't the best thing to do; make sure you think creatively to make the most of your future.

Initiative

Photo by Jehyun Sung on Unsplash

Leading in from creativity, once you find a unique solution to an issue you spot or something that can be improved, there will never be any use if you don't follow up and carry through. Setting yourself goals, making clear plans, and communicating with others are all critical to being successful. From idea to implementation, you have to be the one to take that step forward. Speak up, be confident, and take the lead!

Patience

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

On the more soft side, patience is truly a virtue. Sometimes systems don't work as fast as we do, and other people cannot prioritize our tasks. In those cases, all we can do is simply wait. Now that doesn't mean to wait idly; any time is valuable time, so always find ways to make the wait worthwhile and productive. But sometimes, it's okay to sit back and be patient during a long process.

Empathy

Photo by Perry Grone on Unsplash

Not only will strong leadership skills make you successful but also the compassion and understanding that helps us connect with others. Always be able to listen to another person's story, put yourself in their shoes, and give feedback or advice. Personal connections are so important in networking and building healthy relationships. Without it, we cannot live in a harmonic, unified society. No matter how great a leader, you can never be seen as a great person without the emotions that makes humans who we are.

Research

Photo by Helloquence on Unsplash

As mentioned earlier, you should always be on a quest for answers and new solutions. Let curiosity be the fuel to your tank. Anyone can be a scientist given the research skills and desire for new knowledge. Don't just stick with what you are given, but be able to search on your own for even more. This is a significant aspect in an individual longing to be successful in today's rapidly advancing world. Everything is new, new, and new! And what goes along with new?...Research, of course.

Ability to Work Under Pressure

Photo by Nik Shuliahin on Unsplash

Of course it is never a good idea to procrastinate and force yourself into stressful situations. However, when something goes wrong and that is the case, you always have to be prepared to work quickly but accurately. Our modern world is all about efficiency. Employers need people who can finish any given task even in the worst scenarios, and the ability to work under pressure is just that.

Language Skills

Photo by Duangphorn Wiriya on Unsplash

Although most positions don't require proficiency in speaking multiple languages, this is a an exceptional skill to possess. You never know what situation you will end up in, and being able to communicate with people effectively is important no matter what language. In an increasingly connected society, it is vital that you can build networks with people all across the world.

Adaptability

Photo by Ussama Azam on Unsplash

Change is inevitable. Whether it be a big change, small change, change in your office, or change at home, change is inevitable. Now more than ever, with improving technologies and frequently changing policies and standards, everyone is required to be able to adapt to new conditions. Flexibility and spontaneity are two additional factors that allow one to be successful in coping with changes. Always be ready for change!

Positive Attitude

Photo by Hybrid on Unsplash

Pharrell Williams said it best: happiness is the truth. No matter how tough the problem and how irritating you think the people around you may be, always stay positive. Employers and just any person is general always love people with a positive outlook in life. Look for the optimistic side of everything because in the end, that's what will keep you happy and healthy. Just keep smiling.

Practicality

Photo by Alvaro Reyes on Unsplash

Along with being optimistic, you should also have some sense of practicality. Not every idea will work out, and no matter how positive you think, some things may not happen. So in that scenario, you would need critical thinking skills and logic to turn the impossible into possible.

Confidence

Photo by Ruthson Zimmerman on Unsplash

Most important of all, simply stay confident in yourself. Never give up and always keep moving forward. Confidence and self-esteem are the biggest factors into creating a successful leader. If you cannot believe in yourself, then you cannot expect others to follow you. Always project confidence!