Resting Between Sets At The Gym

Resting Between Sets At The Gym

During a rest period there is a "think about anything and everything" moment.

199
Resting Between Sets At The Gym

If you go to the gym and work hard then you know you have had that "think about anything and everything moment". You know, that moment during a rest period after a bodyweight exercise, heavy lifting, or a lot of cardio where you just sit or stand there for a couple minutes thinking about things that range from why you are even at the gym when you could be doing homework, spending time with friends, playing with a puppy, or just thinking about nothing at all. Most people look like they are just spacing out and are done with their workout but then snap right back into another set. It is always kinda funny to watch these people workout. Every morning at the gym, I see this one guy and after he does a set of an ab workout he will just sit up, with his legs bent up and feet on the floor, his arms wrapped around his knees, and his eyes focused on something completely random like a fan. He literally looks like he entered into another universe! I cannot help but smile a little but to myself when I see him do this because it happens all the time. If you are one of these people, I am sorry for laughing but also very curious as to what thoughts are going through your mind at that moment while looking at a fan, the ground, the sky, or another person. Wait, I take that back, I do not need to know what you are thinking about when looking at another person at the gym. Although this "think about anything and everything moment" could be funny to see or even helpful to do, it could make or break your workout.

So, what is this moment and why is it important? Well, during a workout people need to rest in between sets especially when they are doing something with a lot of effort needed, like heavy lifting. It is important to "space out" but not for a long time! Your workout intensity will weaken, according to Men's Fitness. Nobody wants to lower the intensity of a workout if they are trying to build muscle. Plus, nobody wants to get caught at the gym resting and thinking about puppies the whole time. If that happens, then what is the point of even being at the gym? Using your time wisely to get your workout perfected and balanced with your rest period and the "think about anything and everything moment" can help you get a better overall workout. Now, you may be asking, how long you should rest. According to Phano Paul Som, champion bodybuilder, there is no set rest time for everyone because everyone is different, but it is usually 60-90 seconds. Rest until you feel good, but remember that too much rest could lower the intensity of your workout and too little rest could tire out your muscles. The best advice would be to know your body and try different techniques.

Again, to the guy at the guy that spaces out after an exercise, I am sorry for laughing at you. I know your body is different from mine and you might need more time to admire the fan and how it circles to provide wind than i do. So, the "think about anything and everything moment" is beneficial and maybe I will look at the fan, too.