The Best Of The Best: Restaurants in Lexington, Kentucky

Bourbon, horses and... tacos?

925
Unsplash

Lexington, Kentucky is home to the Wildcats, Keeneland, college basketball, countryside, and of course... it's the horse capital of the world. It's also home to amazing food - no, I'm not only talking about the southern, bourbon-soaked stuff.

You could eat at a new restaurant in Lex every night and never have to go to the same one it seems. So many are amazing – I couldn't possibly list them all here. So which spots top the list?

Here is the ultimate guide to dining out in Lexington, organized by neighborhood or location, for your next night out.

1. THE SUMMIT

The Summit at Fritz Farm is Lexington's new premiere collection of shops and restaurants, located on the corner of Nicholasville Rd and Man O War Blvd.

2. Babalu Tapas & Tacos

A fun menu of Spanish-inspired small plates to share, Babalu is a perfect place for larger groups. They also have a full menu of margaritas and ah-ma-zing tableside guacamole - worth the trip alone, in my opinion.

3. Blue Sushi Sake Grill

Blue's serves self-proclaimed 'fun sushi', and with tons of vegetarian and even vegan sushi options, there's something for everyone. They also have a happy hour that covers drinks AND sushi rolls.

Honorable mentions: Cru Wine Bar, J. Alexander's

4. DOWNTOWN

Downtown is self-explanatory - the Square is a great place for quick bites and shopping, as well as a few sit-down restaurants (one may even be my fave in Lex...).

5. Saul Good

It's Saul Good at Saul Good... I'll see myself out. But really. A super great place for picky people and foodies alike!

6. Hop Cat

This huge 2-floor bar chain goes 21+ at 9 pm and is a super great place to catch a game and eat some loaded fries.

7. Shakespeare's

The Victorian-themed atmosphere makes this international spot a great place to sit. Their menu includes Mediterranean, English, and American among others. Take your parents.

Honorable mentions: Pies & Pints, Sawyer's, the Village Idiot

8. CHEVY CHASE

Located just a short walk from campus is Chevy Chase, an old historical neighborhood that's a hub for local Lexington favorites not to be missed.

9. Bourbon & Toulouse

B&T has one of the biggest cult followings in Lex, and it's well deserved. They have classic Cajun flavors and vegetarian and vegan options, and its fast-casual setup makes it the quickest stop on my list.

10. Bear and the Butcher

B&tB is the newest addition to the Chevy Chase area, filling a void for eclectic street food mixed with fun brunch options. It also has a killer, rustic-NYC atmosphere, and two bars.

11. Josie's

Josie's!!!! A Southern homestyle breakfast place loved by all locals and always has a line out the door. Next time you're feelin' the drinks from the night before, replenish with a good breakfast here.

Honorable mentions: Charlie Brown's, Buenos Nachos

12. CAMPUS

Near campus, on Limestone and Upper, there is a strip of bars and restaurants that are frequented by students and locals alike.

13. Local Taco

Local, Local T, whatever you call it... a beloved favorite of any Lexington resident. The margaritas are fire and the tacos are even better.

14. Pazzo's

A student favorite for catching a game during basketball season, Pazzo's boasts tons of pizza and tons of beer. Check out their calendar for the next pint night!

Honorable mentions: Tin Roof, Tolly Ho

15. ALL OVER

Not quite confined to an area, but couldn't be left out.

16. Willie's Locally Known

Rustic chic Southern-style food with live music! What more can you ask for?

17. Malone's

A true Lexington classic, Malone's and it's adjacent bars (Harry's or Drake's, depending on location) share the same menu of curated meats, salads, and seafood. Celebrities signatures adorn the walls from their visits. Somewhat bougie, but you can still swing it.

18. Goodfella's

Best pizza in Lexington, hands down. Don't fight me on this. Grab a bite on your way out of Two Keys for the night or at my fave location, the distillery district.

Honorable mentions: Great Bagel, Cinco De Mayo, Athenian Grill