Stay Alive: A Community Waits for You

Stay Alive: A Community Waits for You

Together, we can live.

31
Stay Alive: A Community Waits for You

World Suicide Prevention Day was September 10th.

And on this day, you could possibly find a few statuses on social media or other popular websites that provide useful information, a powerful quote, or a link to a helpful hotline. However, these efforts are a small whisper in a loud room. A room filled with the shouts of media's projecting messages of “Her life is perfect,” “He has it all figured out,” and “Everyone is happy.” It can be incredibly hard to talk about grief, pain, and suffering when everyone is competing to showcase the most superficial parts of life. It has become normal to artificially portray only happiness and, as a tradeoff, bury inside the insecurities, sadness, and struggles that we all commonly face.

We allow our shame to lie to us: telling us we are alone or unique in our experiences.

The suicide rate continues to rise.

In isolation people battle to overcome the pressures, both influenced by society and self-imposed, to respond to the question "am I worthy of life?" The answer that some arrive to can be implied by the raw data: every year, approximately 44,000 Americans die by suicide.

In 2014, there was a released projection via the World Health Organization (WHO) that by 2030, the number of lives lost due to depression will be greater than that resulting from any other condition such as illnesses, accidents, or even war. As critical thinkers, we must consider that the data behind these theories did not accurately capture all the complex components of mental illness - not when the data that is used is based on the report attempted and completed suicides.

There are so many individuals grappling with whether their lives hold value. And if someone cannot understand their gift, then they can never recognize their integral importance to the inner workings of humanity. Even those who will never try to take their own lives can carry an extreme weight-- always seeking to answer the questions about their existence and impact.

Which leads me to assume that these statistics are possibly far more devastating than their projections. Whether the predictions will become reality, there is still clearly a growing epidemic of unknown expiration dates of the lives among us. People moving slowly through a purgatory of unrealized potential; as they grow increasingly more distracted by their continuous efforts to camouflage their pain from the world, they never invest the time to share the vulnerable needs with those alongside them.

Each day we remain silent, we are actively turning away from the connection that could save a life.

In a country where the stigma surrounding mental health continues to perpetuate destructive misconceptions, suffering individuals will work to remain invisible. This makes it impossible to reach those standing on the edge; fighting for their lives; desperately searching for a reason to stay.

I believe a vital life line that connects those lives to the necessary helpful resources and, ultimately hopeful futures, can be found in supportive communities.

In honor of World Suicide Prevention Day, here are three unique places where I believe the captivating call to “stay” can speak directly to the hearts of those who need it most:

To Write Love On Her Arms

A nonprofit organization that provides a welcoming community, connection to resources, and a safe space to feel pain, To Write Love On Her Arms has grown into a worldwide movement that has raised and donated over $1.5 million dollars to treatment and recovery surrounding mental health. TWLOHA is rapidly growing and expanding its platform to create supportive communities on college campuses and through partnered organizations.

Live Through This

A collection of portraits and accompanying stories of suicide attempt survivors that prove no one is immune to life’s challenges. This website provides a space to consider the battle of depression could very well be worth fighting and possibly suicide doesn’t have to be the end of your story.

Andrea Gibson

During a particularly challenging summer, my friend emailed me a link to this poem. I soon found myself surrounded by the words, rhymes, and rhythms of a brilliant poet whose impressive community following includes the most incredible every day warriors. At each event I attend, I stand beside strangers, entranced by Gibson’s vulnerability, as I let the words wash over me. There may be no safer place than those rooms where the horrors of life’s traumas are spoken freely for the world to hear; shattering our silences, as we consider our strength to live and resiliency to survive.

So while the burden of life might feel immense and no two experiences of hardship are exactly the same, there are places where you can connect with people battling similar obstacles. These communities may exist in vastly different environments; a late night spokenword performance, an online forum, or a portfolio of photographs. But over time the raw exchange of stories will reaffirm yours and the intoxicating feelings of isolation with fade.

And while the pursuit of your purpose will likely be lifelong: let it be. As the endless journey will keep you here longer. Possibly long enough to find your inner truth, long enough to meet a companion with similar wounds, or long enough to share your story too.

Together, we can stay.

Together, we can choose.

Together, we can live.

In case of an emergency, someone is always available 24/7 to listen @ National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)