Resolutions: Not Just For New Year's Day

Make today your clean slate.

19
Katherine Viviano

When I hear the word "resolution," my mind immediately wanders to December 31 -- getting ready with my best friends, going over the highs and lows over the year, and listing our resolutions. Resolution: the promise(s) you make to yourself in an attempt to better your life, such as going to the gym more often, deleting that toxic guy's number from your phone, or salvaging your GPA. January 1 represents the chance for a personal clean slate. I'd never thought about resolution outside of this context until a close friend recently brought it to my attention. New Year's resolutions tend to have a lifespan of approximately one month, as school, work, and trying to maintain a social life get in the way of these short-term goals.

Everyone has heard songs and quotes addressing the fact that it's never too late to be brand new, but nobody ever seems to take advantage of that. Falling into a routine and going with the motions of life put these blinders on us, seemingly preventing change or growth. We become engulfed in the mundane schedule that usually goes something like: wake up, go to school/work, eat, sleep, repeat. The aforementioned friend reminded me that whether it's January or July, we are capable of setting goals and applying them in every aspect of our lives. There is no time like the present to take charge of your life and your goals, so why wait until the start of a new year? Why waste time feeding into bad habits while you could be working toward improving them?

I know as well as anyone that changing your life for the better is much easier said than done. We all want to enhance our grades, bodies, social lives, etc. However, not everyone is willing to put in the work necessary to make these improvements. So what is an overworked, over-scheduled, and completely exhausted 20-something to do? I’ll tell you. It’s all about your mindset.

You can have one of two mindsets: the fixed vs. the growth. In a fixed mindset, you spend each day dwelling on what’s going wrong in the plan you’ve made for yourself. In a growth mindset, you find the opportunity to learn from each mistake. Think of it this way: in a fixed mindset, your failure is the absolute limit of your abilities whereas in a growth mindset, the same failure builds up the motivation to get back out on the court. If you find yourself constantly dwelling on what’s gone wrong so far, maybe it’s time to reevaluate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with veering from the path you prepared for. You are fearfully and wonderfully made, and there’s nothing stopping you from success, except yourself. You are your only obstacle and you have the power to chose whether that obstacle will make you or break you. You cannot control the ups and downs of life, but you can 100 percent control how you react to them. This life offers a myriad of surprises, both good and bad. Ultimately, they are what you make of them.

Most of those reading this post belong to the millennial generation, that group of college-aged young adults with no idea what the future has in store for them. But whether you're a student shooting to pass finals, a young adult stretching yourself too thin just to be able to pay bills, or a mom simply trying to get through the week, it doesn't matter. Whatever stage you’re at in your life right now, two things hold true for everyone: You are here and the time is now. If there's something you don’t like, you have the time and the power to change it. So, what are you waiting for? Make your resolutions, right now. Study for that exam you’ve convinced yourself you’re going to fail, finish that novel you’ve been working on, get yourself to where you want to be. Refuse to wait for tomorrow, because today is limited, and it's one you’ll never get back.