Can Someone Tell Me Why I Am Spending Hours Studying Biology When I am A Journalism Major?

Just because it is required?

385
Wikimedia commons

The classes that students are required to take in college is a confusing concept and an ongoing debate in our country.

Don’t get me wrong, I like school, and studying, and receiving an education. But some of my classes, along with other students, do not push us to our overall career goal. As a future journalist, I don’t see why it is necessary for me to spend my time in five science classes or four foreign language classes throughout my four years of college.

I understand the concept of being a well-rounded, educated student. I just don’t feel like sitting in 3 hours of biology lab a week is necessary.

I am a very goal-driven student.

I know what I want out of my college education and I want to dedicate my time towards reaching that full potential. I would rather spend my time writing, public speaking, learn different communication methods, and study the forms of media. Instead, most of my semester consists of learning the detailed steps of photosynthesis and genetic combinations (when in all honesty, I won’t remember any of it once I’m finished with the class).

As finals approach, it has made me realize that the information I have spent countless hours studying this semester will never be used again. Being an educated human being is great, but when it starts to cause unnecessary stress that is when problems arise. My grade does not reflect work ethic in classes that are hard for me to grasp.

People have different strengths and weaknesses. Certain people have different thought processes and everyone’s brain is unique. The people who find math equations simple might struggle with writing ten-page papers, yet they are forced to enroll in multiple English classes.

It is good that not everyone has the same strengths or else the world would be a boring place. But if this is true then why are college students required to take a lot of the same classes?

This article is not written to criticize the educational system of major universities, but I do think that the system has flaws. High school students take classes similar to general education classes at the college level, only to repeat them a couple of years later.

If I had it my way, high school would be used as a time to figure out what you want to study. Once in college, you would use that time to focus on that specific path. Or if you are unsure what you want when entering college, you should be able to enroll in the classes you think you would enjoy most. If everyone is different then individuals should be able to hold the power of their educational careers.