Renaming Pedophilia Does Not Make It Less Of A Crime

Trying to incorporate pedophiles into LGBT? COME AT ME.
375

As a traditional and conservative Christian, Tumblr is really no place for me.

However, as in all things, there are a few of us on there anyway, carving out a small corner of sanity in an otherwise terrible and divisive place. Believe me when I say it is much more than just aesthetic photos and quotes; it's far more often a place saturated in liberal and politically correct thought policing.

Nine out of ten times, I just scroll past the ridiculous (and hateful) things that I see in favor of landscape photos and pictures of flowers and coffee. But last week, something caught my attention that would rock my world.

One of the blogs I follow had shared something discussing MAPs. "MAPs?" I thought, "what are MAPs? Is this a geography debate?" I continued reading, only to be further confused. A minute later though, I finally figured out what MAP stands for-- Minor-Attracted Person(s). I wish I was kidding.

You guessed it--the psychos on the majority of Tumblr renamed pedophilia something nicer, to try and make it seem okay. They also penned the term NOMAPs to mean "non-offending minor-attracted person." Let us be clear here: this is absolute bullshit.

There is no such thing as "non-offending." Unless you are actively and constantly seeking treatment and working to not be a complete monster, you cannot claim to be a decent human being, much less non-offending.

I don't care what kind of nonsense you try to create to convince people otherwise or to "comfort" those who "suffer" with this, it is wrong. It doesn't matter if you classify it as a mental illness, it does not matter if it truly is a mental illness, it is wrong.

Many people fail to realize that just because something is a mental illness does not give you a free license to behave however you feel inclined to just because you are sick. Being a psychopath does not absolve serial killers of the wrongness of killing people. Being depressed does not absolve you of being careless of others' feelings. Being a pedophile does not make it okay to view children of sexual objects or engage in child pornography.

Most importantly, changing the name to minor-attracted person does not make it less wrong. That's like renaming murder "induced death." Even more so, in renaming it and trying to comfort and normalize these crimes, you are giving some of these pedophiles the nerve and the "courage" to act on their illness. You are part of the problem.

So if we could just, you know, stop renaming crimes to make them appear socially acceptable, that would be great.