A Reminder To Myself Going Into This New Year

Most people make some type of resolution for each new year, but many people don't follow through with them because they shoot too high.

14

Although I hope for many new things this year, I have one resolution that I want to focus on. Instead of calling it a resolution, I want to think of it as a reminder, and I hope that by putting it into writing, I can look back at it as a constant reminder.

For the new year and every year to follow, I want to live in the moment. We're all guilty of focusing on the future and obsessing over things out of our reach and about things that haven't happened yet, but I want to be grateful for the things going on now. I want to appreciate the good moments, the small moments, and I even want to live during the moments that seem too tough to handle.

This past year I've stressed too much, and I realized I stress about things I can't change more than I do appreciating things I don't want to change. Everyone has heard the saying, "Instead of asking yourself 'Why is this happening to me?,' ask yourself, 'What is this teaching me?," and I want to remember that every time I feel like giving up.

I've been focusing on transferring schools, and I haven't been focusing on the school I go to now. I want to meet new people, go to parties, and be more involved until one day I won't get the chance. I've given up so many opportunities by waiting for new ones to arise. I also focus more on a career I may have in the future instead of appreciating where I work now and who I work with. I'm passing by opportunities and moments every day without realizing it. When I look back on this time in my life, I don't want to regret it. I don't want to think that I should've been appreciated or lived the fullest while I had the chance. I want to laugh and smile now, so I can look back and laugh and smile more. I want to remember being happy and loving every memory I make out of this time.

This year I don't want to dedicate the year to myself - I want to dedicate this year to everyone around me and everything going on. This year is about positivity, happiness, and enjoying life. If anyone needs a reminder to live in the moment, look at this article and remind yourself that every day brings something new, and everything has to end whether that be good or bad. I pass up too many good things anticipating what comes next. I don't want to take this life for granted. I want to live.

My fortune in my fortune cookie said, "Stop searching for forever. Happiness is sitting right next to you," and if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. Happiness is now. Happiness is this moment all those that continue. Happiness is me.