A Reminder That You're Doing Better Than You Think You Are

My advice is not to let the negatives outweigh the positives.

626

Life is hard. I know that this is the most depressing way to start a piece focused on reminding you of how great you are, but stay with me and hear me out. In everyday life it is easy to get caught up in the negatives, and sometimes we forget to look at all the amazing things that are happening, too. Just because every single day doesn’t go according to plan doesn’t mean that there isn’t something great to be found in each day. The beauty of this is that at the end of each day you get to put that day behind you, and start over with a brand new slate tomorrow! So, here is my encouragement for anyone feeling like they’re lacking the motivation to finish the semester strong, for anyone who is feeling less than their best, and for anyone who just wants to be reminded of how great they are.

You’re doing better than you think you are because you got up today. This may seem like a silly thing to consider "amazing," but when you think about it, you made the conscious choice. You could have stayed in bed all day, and let whatever has been bothering you continue to do so. However, instead, you made the conscious choice to get up and make the most of your day. As I said, everyday is a blank slate, and by not letting the events of yesterday affect your today or tomorrow you’re already doing better than you think you are.

You’re doing better than you think you are because you question yourself. You doubt yourself. You wonder if the decisions you’re making are the right ones and you’re open to the opportunity of learning when/if the choice you made ends up being the wrong one. This shows that you’re willing to adapt, you’re okay with admitting when you are wrong, and you are open to the idea of constructive criticism.

You are doing better than you think you are because you are doing the things you need to in life, whether its school/family/a job/all three, whatever they may be. However, you still have time to enjoy the extra things that make you happy. Maybe that means at the end of the day you have a half hour to sit, and watch your favorite show, or maybe it means you get a run in daily ... whatever the case may be, if you’re finding time to do the things you love on top of the things you need to, you are doing better than you think.

You are doing better than you think you are because you have enough money to your name to afford the necessities, and even some extras. If you’re able to put food on the table, and eat enough to keep yourself healthy, you’re doing better than you think you are. If you have the capability to afford the gas for your car when it needs it, you’re doing better than you think you are. Point blank, if you’re living life comfortably, you’re doing better than you think you are.

You are doing better than you think you are because you have a friend who cares about you. Stop comparing yourself and your life to others. If you’ve got one or two friends who mean the world to you/would do anything to see you succeed (and vice versa) you’re doing so much better than you think you are.

You are doing better than you think you are because you’re a person with morals who knows the difference between right and wrong. You may not always get it right, and trust me no one expects you to — no one is perfect, but you have a good moral compass guiding you through life.

You are doing better than you think you are because you have goals. You have dreams, and aspirations that you are working towards. You have some sort of plan as to where you want to end up in life. So, don’t stress yourself out if where you are currently isn’t where you want to end up. You’ll get there. Stick to your plan.

You are doing better than you think you are because the person you are today is completely different from the person you were a year ago, and the person you will be a year from now. Part of the beauty of being human is that we’re constantly making mistakes, learning from them, and becoming a better version of ourselves. It is okay to feel lost sometimes because this is how we learn who we really want to be.

And finally, you are doing better than you think you are because you are surviving. At the end of the day, no matter what horrible thing may have happened, you survived. You made it through everything that you though may possibly break you, and because of this you came out a stronger person.

So remember, as we gear up for the second half of this semester/ as you prepare for a new week/ as you prepare for a new work week, you will survive and you will get through it. And because of this, you’ll be a stronger version of yourself. Always remember that you are doing better than you think you are.