A Reminder To My Best Friend

A Reminder To My Best Friend

"​I know times are hard and we are far away, but here are all the things I need you to hear me say."

736
A Reminder To My Best Friend
Bobbie Hall

Dear Best Friend,

We've been apart for the past seven months. That doesn't mean we don't see each other, but in high school, we talked every day. For the past seven months, you've been an hour away from me. I thank God that we managed to stay on the same side of the state, even though it's the opposite side of the state from our hometowns. Because we are so far away, I don't get to remind you of who you are to me as often. I realized I really need to.

Best friend, you are the person I go to with my biggest problems. You go through everything with me, even now, when we're 55 miles apart. In some friendships, this might just mean boy drama. Maybe even girl drama. But we both know that the sort of stuff you and I go through is not just typical boy/girl drama. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there through my darkest days.

Best friend, we are so very different, but there's never been a time I felt like your values and beliefs were being pushed on me. You and I are the example I use when discussing how this world could finally manage to get along. We have different opinions, but we have a mutual respect for each other nonetheless.

Best friend, I don't know how you put up with me. Almost everyone (except my parents) constantly sees the really happy, loving side of me, or the vulnerable side. I'm sure you see it too, but you also see the constantly anxious side of me. You get to see the side of me that's sad one moment and happy the next moment. You've actually seen me mad about something. That's something so many people can't say. While most of the world only sees the beautiful parts of me, you see it all, and I thank you so much for staying with me, despite how crazy you know I am.

Best friend, while we're talking about crazy, thank you for loving my crazy. I think it's one of the best things about myself, but many people tend to disagree. You get the weirdest side of me, and you join in too. You give me the confidence to be who I really am, and you remind me that the people who don't appreciate it are the people I don't need.

Best friend, your heart is so big. I've thought for years that you are the kindest and most caring person from our class. Even though I'm closer to you now, and I know that's not always the case, I also know that you'd do anything for the people who deserve your love, and sometimes even the people who don't.

Best friend, I tell you all the time, but I'm going to do it again: A boy who makes you cry is not worth anything. It's hard to hear, especially coming from me, who never follows that rule, but still, it's so true. It's beautiful that you put your heart and soul into other people, but I hope that someday you can find a good balance between giving it your all and finally giving up. What's meant to be will be, but you should only keep the people in your life who truly enhance it,

Best friend, you are so beautiful and strong. I've admired how beautiful you are since before we were even friends. Today I notice that a part of your beauty is purely the strength inside you. You've been through so much, and sadly, I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Still, we both know that you will continue on through the hurt and pain. I admire you for never backing down from the challenges life throws at you. Your strength makes me feel stronger.

Best friend, thank you for reminding me of your love. I rarely fear that you will abandon me. That's not something I can say about many people. Maybe it's just because I can't imagine life without you. What I really believe is that it's because you tell me you love me almost every day. I love you too, forever.

Best friend, there's so much more I could say to you, but I don't have enough time to write it, and you don't have enough time to read it. College is hard. But with you by my side, even an hour away, I know that we can both get through it.

With love, always,

Your Best Friend