Remembering The Impact Of First Ladies

Remembering The Impact Of First Ladies

In wake of Nancy Reagan's passing, we should remember the influence the First Ladies have had on America.

175
Remembering The Impact Of First Ladies

On March 6th, America lost one of its most beloved First Ladies, Nancy Reagan. In recognition of her life and role as one of the most powerful women in the United States at one point in history, one cannot deny the impact that First Ladies White House had on our country. Reagan includes numerous women that have created lasting programs and precedents both political and social for America. Here is a list of just a few of the most memorable First Ladies and the impact they had during their time in the White House.

Abigail Adams

Although Abigail Adams is most remembered for her service before America was founded, her legacy lived on as recognition for her advocacy for women’s rights and her influence over John Adams during the founding days of our country. She urged for the remembrance of women when considering the founding of the country, “I long to hear that you have declared an independency. And, by the way, in the new code of laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors.”

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady to President Franklin Roosevelt from 1933-1945, is arguably the most influential First Lady. When Roosevelt took office, the First Lady traveled across the country to visit government institutions and other facilities to report back to him after policies like the New Deal were enacted. She was also an advocate for civil rights for African Americans, women, and the poor. Her influence called for Roosevelt’s appointment of women to federal positions and held press conferences for female reporters.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Jacqueline Kennedy

Jacqueline B. Kennedy, First Lady to the 35th President, John F. Kennedy, was known not only for her excellent fashion, but also for her efforts in promoting the arts and the creation of John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum after the tragic assassination of her husband. After becoming First Lady, the Kennedy’s restored and preserved the White House. She established a White House Fine Arts Committee and the position of White House curator. Kennedy recognized the arts inviting artists, writers, scientists, poets, and musicians to meet with politicians, diplomats, and statesman.

One man can make a difference and every man should try.

Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson

In addition to her entrepreneurial spirit through her radio station, KTBC, Lady Bird was Second and First Lady to President Johnson. Her influence spread over the campaign for both JFK and her husband. She was a fundraiser for heart disease prevention and received an achievement award from the Washington Heart Association in 1962. As First Lady, Lady Bird was a strong supporter of civil and women's rights. In lunches known as “Women Do-er” luncheons, she would ask a women leader a question on a social issue to present to other women in a related field. She gave attention to programs such as “Project Head Start” which regarded child development and became the National Chair of Head Start. In 1965, Lady Bird launched “Beautification” to create a more beautiful capital and landscaping, and further took those to “Projects Pride” to expand it to hire college and high school students to aid in the effort. The Lady Bird’s Bill, Highway Beatification Act, was passed to limit roadside billboard advertising of companies who did not clear junkyards and remove or reduced billboards from interstate and highways.

Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.

Nancy Reagan

Nancy Reagan was the First Lady to President Ronald Reagan from 1981-1989. During her time as First Lady, Reagan supported the Foster Grandparent Program, which provides a way for volunteers over the age of 55 to stay active in their communities through acting as role models, mentors, and friends to children. She also created the “Just Say No” program, which concentrated on the fight against drug and alcohol abuse in young people, even holding a conference for the first ladies of 17 countries to raise international awareness for the problem.

A woman is like a tea bag, you can not tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.

Rosalynn Carter

Rosalynn Carter was the First Lady to President Jimmy Carter from 1977 – 1981. Today, she is still very active in movements she started during her time in the White House. She is currently a leading advocate for mental health, caregiving, immunization, human rights, and conflict resolution at a private, nonprofit institution, The Carter Center. She created the Carter Center’s Mental Health Task Force to promote positive change in mental health. She was an active participant in the passage of the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. After her time in the White House, she launched Every Child By Two, a campaign to protect children from vaccine-preventable diseases. She also works with Habitat for Humanity and Project Interconnections to promote housing for the needy.

A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don't necessarily want to go, but ought to be.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, yes the same Hillary Clinton who is currently running for President, was the First Lady to Bill Clinton starting in 1993. Within the first five days, she was named to head the President’s Task Force on Health Care Reform to oversee research, investigatory trips, reports, committees of medical and insurance professionals, lawmakers and advocates. Her attention to this issue raised awareness to the issue. She initiated the Children’s Health Insurance Program in 1997 to support children whose parents were unable to provide them with health coverage. Clinton also sought to increase research funding and awareness for prostate cancer, childhood asthma, and veterans suffering from toxic effects of chemicals. She cited her Adoption and Safe Familes Act of 1997 as her greatest satisfaction.

Too many women in too many countries speak the same language, of silence.

Michelle Obama

Our current First Lady, Michelle Obama, is an advocate for healthy families, service members, higher education, and international adolescent girls education. In 2010, she launched Lets Move! This movement addressed childhood obesity through physical education and healthier food. In 2011, she launched a nationwide initiative to support service members, veterans, and their families in regards to their wellness, education, and employment. Later, she launched the Reach Higher Initiative to promote benefits of higher education. And finally, in 2015, First Lady Obama launched Let Girls Learn to help girls around the world go and stay in school.

Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude.