Remembering Gene Wilder's Greatest Films

From Willy Wonka to young Frankenstein, Gene Wilder stole our hearts every moment he was in front of the camera.

45
Dandelion Chocolate

Just last week, the world lost an incredible movie icon - the wonderful and talented, Gene Wilder. Growing up, the original Willy Wonka (released in 1971) was one of my favorite movies and still is to this day. The more I got into movies, the more I discovered from Gene Wilder and instantly fell in love with several of the films produced by the comedic legend, Mel Brooks. Each time I watch one of Wilder's movies, I remember why I love them all over again. His wit and natural talent on screen keeps you captivated from start to finish, and often making you laugh until your stomach hurts. When I heard about his passing, at age 83 from Alzheimer's, I was devastated. A part of my childhood was now gone, but thankfully, we still have his movies to keep his talent alive. While there's a handful I haven't watched, there's quite a few that I hold close to my heart and consider to be some of his best (and some of my all time favorites). Without further adieu, here is a list of five Gene Wilder films that I will watch until the day I die (and will force my children to watch and love):

1. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Willy Wonka taught us the importance of being humble, and that, most importantly, we should encourage our imagination to run wild. Wilder's talents shine so bright in this film, particularly with the iconic scene where he goes to the gate to welcome the children to his factory, but trips, falls, and quickly stands up, leaving the crowd deceived and wondering what he has in store for the rest of their visit. In fact, he only agreed to take the role because he got it approved to perform this stunt, this way no one would ever know if he was lying or not for the duration of the movie. Absolutely genius, if you ask me.

2. Blazing Saddles (1974)

With this wonderful collaboration with Mel Brooks, Wilder takes on the role of a drunken man made to help take down a gang with his friend, whom is the first Black sheriff in their town. Blazing Saddles is absolutely hilarious, and also one of my favorite Mel Brooks films, but then again, I say that about nearly every Mel Brooks film.

3. The Producers (1967)

Gene Wilder back at it again with the Mel Brooks movies! If you haven't seen The Producers and you're a fan of musicals, this movie is the one for you! While Wilder is not the main character, he is the reason the flop of the musical takes place, so really he is a pretty important character! This movie is another one of my favorites, and also because Will Ferrell is in it too! So really, this movie can't get any better (the rest of the cast is pretty wonderful, too)!

4. See No Evil Hear No Evil (1989)

If you're a fan of Dumb and Dumber, you'll definitely love this flick where the title speaks for itself. Wilder and Pryor are a perfect dynamic duo in this flick about a blind man and a deaf man that find themselves in quite a bit of trouble. Personally, I think this movie runs circles around Dumb and Dumber.You'll laugh until your sides hurt! Aside from being funny, this movie also shows us the joys of new friendship.

5. Young Frankenstein (1974)

Last, but most certainly not least, is my all time favorite Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder movie: Young Frankenstein. When my dad told me that I absolutely needed to see this movie, I had no idea that it would quickly become my all time favorite, and also the movie I quote the most. Every little joke makes me laugh until I cry, and I will never be able to hear someone's stomach growl without thinking, "did you make a yummy noise?" and every time someone mentions something being abnormal, my first response is, "Abby-something...abby...normal!" Young Frankenstein is a hilarious spoof of the original Frankenstein, telling the story of Doctor Frankenstein and his famous creation that goes terribly wrong! Along side Marty Feldman, Gene Wilder truly does a spectacular job with this comedy.

Gene Wilder has left behind an incredible legacy in the fields of film and comedy, and him and his movies will always hold a very special place in my heart. Rest in Peace.